Chapter 24

Jessie's POV

I slowly open my eyes then quickly close them again. I remember what happened in the middle of the night and suddenly feel guilt and shame. I know I scared both Lisa and Christina, in all honesty, I was terrified of myself as well.

I wish they hadn't seen me like that but at the same time, I'm so glad Lisa came downstairs.

I remember falling asleep on Christina's lap but now all I feel around me is the couch. I open my eyes to see light streaming into the room. It must be at least 9 or 10.

I get up and walk into the kitchen, my eyes to the floor.

"Morning sleepyhead," Amy greets me and I nod, still looking at the ground. I realize all the girls are in here eating breakfast and I wonder if Christina and Lisa told any of them what happened. I grab a mug and pour some coffee into it and sit down.

"What time is it?" I ask the person next to my right who turns out to be Lauren. She checks her phone.

"9:42" she says and smiles at me. I did sleep kinda late but then again, I only got 4 hours of sleep which explains why I'm still tired.

"Thanks," I say.

I finish my coffee and get up to leave the kitchen. On my way out I get pulled aside by Christina.

"Be ready at 11 because we're going for a drive," she tells me. I don't really feel like going but I know by the tone of her voice that this isn't debatable. I sigh and nod and she goes back into the kitchen.

I head upstairs to the room I share with Christina, Kath, and Amy. I grab a pair of black skinny jeans, a white shirt and an aqua beanie and take a shower before changing. I then dry and straighten my hair and do my makeup.

I go back into the room and grab Kath's phone to check the time. 10:56, perfect timing! I do wonder why we're going for a drive exactly but I'm guessing it's about last night.

I run down the stairs and out to the car. Christina is sitting in the driver's seat and I get into the passengers and wait for her to start driving. Several minutes later, she still hasn't left.

"Why aren't we going?" I ask.

"We're waiting," Christina says and about 30 seconds later Lisa comes running out of the house and gets in the back seat. Oh. I bet they're going to grill me. Make me spill everything I feel. 2 against 1. I lean my head against the window and look out at the scenery as Christina drives to wherever we're going.

"Turn on the radio," Lisa requests and I turn it on. Jealous by Nick Jonas comes on and both Christina and Lisa start singing along. I can't help but join in. We end up laughing and it's a weird feeling. I'm nervous yet not at all nervous.

Christina finally parks the car and I get out and take a look around. We're literally in the middle of nowhere. All there is is a hill with a tree. Lisa walks to a bench under the tree and sits down and so does Christina. I follow but remain standing.

"Jessie," Lisa says quietly, "Do you want to talk about last night?" I shake my head and tell myself I need to be strong. I look at Lisa and a tear runs down her cheek.

"Please don't cry," I whisper and that has the reverse effect, more tears start falling. I hug her and she hugs me tightly.

"I hate hurting you guys, I hate myself for it so much," I say.

"No. Don't hate yourself for that, please!" Christina begs and I sigh.

"It's not that easy," I say quietly and we sit in silence for a few moments.

"Last night... why?" Lisa asks hesitantly.

"I want to be with the one person who loves me, my sister. I need to see her again," I say and hold my breath to keep the tears from falling.

"She's not the only person who loves you," Christina says.

"Who else would love me?" I ask and see tears shining in Christina's eyes.

"Us," Christina tells me.

"We love you," Lisa says and both of them hug me. I wrap an arm around each of them and suddenly I realize.

"You really do love me don't you?" I ask in shock.

"We do. The entire family. We love and care about you so much Jess" Christina says and I start smiling like an idiot. I've never been told this. I've never belonged in my family but now I have a new family, a better, loving family. I have girls who are like sisters who care about me. Wow.

"Why did you take me here?" I ask, the one question I still have.

"I like going here to clear my mind and write songs sometimes. It's a peaceful place," Lisa explains and I understand what she means.

I get off the bench and lay down on the grass. Christina lays down on my right and Lisa on my left. Each of them grabs my hand and squeezes. I squeeze back and look up at the sky.

Suddenly Christina starts singing and Lisa joins in with harmony.

You're not alone, together we stand
I'll be by your side you know I'll take your hand
When it gets cold, and it feels like the end
There's no place to go, you know I won't give in
I'll fight and defend

Keep holding on
Cause you know we'll make it through, make it through
Just stay strong
Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you

Lisa sings now with Christina harmonizing and I feel tears falling. I love this song by Avril Lavigne. I decide to sing with them the last part of the chorus.

There's nothing you could say
Nothing you could do
There's no other way when it comes to the truth
So keep holding on
Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through