chapter 4

He lay asleep his soft sheets , nothing compared to the delicate and content smile on his face a smile that seemed ethereal with the candle light making his face glow. A smile was reflected on her own face. He smiled quite often, as far as she'd known, but these genuine smiles were rare. She wondered what he dreamed of , she wondered what made his face glow as bright as the stars. The smile was replaced by a frown now, and he opened his jade eyes irritably, unwillingly . Evyana was so mesmerized by him that she'd missed the insistent knocking on his door.

His feet hit the hard wood floor which she'd ignored in favor of admiring him , infact she'd ignored the entire room where she stood. She hadn't dreamt of his room too much, he'd either been out or fighting assassins or downstairs with Dorian or doing things she'd rather not think about . She still liked his room though, it was sufficiently large , to fit his bed which was made of the same dark wood that the floors were made of , the walls were painted a light color and there was a huge window in his room , the blinds were drawn, the walls were covered with books and the ceiling seemed like it was painted too, candelabras were placed on either side of his bed on his bedside table lighting up his room, his weapons hung on another side of the wall .

Theo had opened the door to a collected looking Dorian, who's frantic eyes betrayed him , " We need to leave, Now ."

The calmness in his demeanor didn't hide the urgency of his statement. Theo noticed Dorian was armed and had a bag with him he didn't exactly know what was going on , but he trusted Dorian with his life and he could ask questions later.

Theo grabbed his weapons his daggers , swords , and a shield . Stuffed some clothes into a bag strapped a sword to his back and the daggers on his belt , heaving the lightly packed bag on the other shoulder , he opened his bedside drawer and grabbed what seemed to be a book , a big one and another one , it didn't make sense to Evyana but not much about Theo did either , so she just watched not like there was much she could do. They left their home through the back door, with their horses . Theo was strangely quiet .

When they'd come far enough into the forest , they saw smoke rise up , Theo had been quiet , but now he couldn't help it , he needed to understand , " what's going on?" He asked , tone calm but this time Dorian knew he had to answer .

" It's Cadocs men , they've been after us for a while, they come armed with magic." He explained , his tone pensive, a hint that there was more to the situation than he let on , but now was no time for lengthy explanations .

Theo , and Dorian worked like a well oiled machine , Dorian had raised him so. They'd trust each other with their lives , so if Dorian thought this was all Theo needed to know right now . Theo didn't question him any further. They rode on , the forests seemed to part for them , their horses too tried tirelessly to go as fast as they could. They'd come to a clearing now , and the path ahead was where the mountains began , the clearing was quite vast though, there was still a long way to escape and attain safety, and by now the enemy surely would have realized their hoax. Just as they were in the middle of the clearing there was a blast of magic that hit straight in front of them bringing their horses to a halt.

The animals were panicked but their loyalty didn't allow them to abandon their masters . Theo and Dorian looked at the source of the blast to find four of Cadocs assassins right at their heels. They were gaining ground each second. Dorian was the one , who'd taught Theo everything he knew about fighting , and the rest was learned in the battle grounds against Cadocs army , they'd learned to improvise as they'd fought side by side so many times , by now , a look between them was enough , to convey any strategy the other had going. Dorian didn't just raise Theo as his son , he'd also been a confidant and a dear friend growing up and now , their knowledge of eachothers fight skills and the fact that they were stuck in a situation that would require immense coordination to get out alive had risen. They were sure they'd make it out alive .