chapter 24

The mountain seemed like a never ending climb , Evyana was almost fed up, there was no sign of any dragon around . They stopped at a pond , Evyana just wanted to wash her face with the water , she touched the surface , to see a menacing face staring back at her , Theo pulled her back in time .

The mermaid broke the surface , in order to drag her in, but she was out of reach. Her heart hammered in her chest, as she held on to Theo, they decided they wouldn’t stop for a while now. Time seemed warped on this mountain.

“ Thanks for saving me back there.” she spoke

“ You were just taken by surprise, and you seemed to be doing quite well on your first trip in Eirlys.” He smiled , she was handling things pretty well .

“ I didn’t think you’d come.” She said after a while .

He looked at her seriously , trying to convey as much emotion through his gaze as he did through his voice,
“ There’s no where that you could go , where I wouldn’t follow.”

He said his voice earnest and she knew he meant it.

They trudged ahead , to spot a cave , her first instinct was to avoid it, after the mermaid incident, but walking a bit further , gave her a better view of the cave, and she knew, this was it. They entered the cave to find that , it was beautiful , like walking into the midnight sky , except the sky was surrounding them even beneath their feet , the cave was dark blue and glowing  with stones which appeared like distant stars. Two of them seemed particularly bright and iridescent , Evyana walked towards them and touched the wall around them. As soon as she did , the stones that seemed like starts blinked and Theo who was not too far behind her , dragged her out of the way as he realized the wall was a dragon.

So it was true , the guardian was a dragon . It moved it was huge and seemed to have embossed itself into the cave wall , it was in front of them within moments . Evyanas posture seemed weird to him, but he held her hand and dragged her out of the way.

She shielded herself behind him and the dragon , just stood there, trying to make sense of its surroundings , “ You should make the first move.” She spoke her voice a mere whisper, and even though he wasn’t sure , he felt compelled to agree .

So he did attack the dragon, or try to because it seemed to realize his move and dodged in time. Theo realized his heart wasn’t in it, as he knew he wouldn’t miss his aim , against such a clumsy dragon , he felt like something was wrong with it, it almost seemed unaware of its own body size and he chalked it upto it’s years of remaining hidden in the walls , he turned to look at Evyana who just stood there, a somber expression on her face , which immediately changed to a frown the moment he laid eyes on her , "It’s so......... it's nothing like I’ve ever seen before.” She said her tone high pitched , he chalked it up to the suddenness of being faced by a dragon.

The Dragon in question though, still seemed to barely find its footing , and the cave seemed to be stifling to it, Theo had imagined the guardian to be more lethal and agile , this one seemed to barely manage it’s own body weight. The dragons tail swished back and forth causing a disturbance in the cave, it seemed to realize it was the one causing the disturbance and stopped. Evyana stood behind Theo who was watching the dragon with a puzzled expression . What even was the test? He was under the impression that they’d have to fight the guardian in order to reach the source , but the guardian seemed indept for this job, or either this was the test, he turned to Evyana who’d been quiet this whole time.