chapter 5

Evyana had failed to notice the sound of footsteps behind her, all her attention focused on the man lying in front of her, the man that she’d seen every night in her dreams for months now , he was right in front of her and unconscious that sprung her into action. Her vision almost seemed blurry somehow , she realised she’d been crying , she wiped her tears and turned around to be faced by a shocked Adrian , the flashlight he held shined too brightly in her eyes making his face barely visible .

“Adrian!”

her voice seemed to bring him out of his trance too , it also broke the quiet that had settled around the clearing , now she noticed the forest around was buzzing with life , the sounds of crickets and the gentle breeze that blew through the trees almost seemed like a whistle, a fine sound to fall asleep to, as though to keep them in a trance. They didn’t have time for that though, Evyana knew where his wounds were and asked for Adrian’s help to hand over the antiseptic and the gauze from the first aid kid she’d brought.

The bleeding had stopped , but the wound still needed to be disinfected so that’s exactly what she’d done. She had learned dressing up and cleaning wounds at a pretty young age , sometimes her own and on most times , her mothers. Adrian quietly assisted her , she had to hand it to him, that he hadn’t lost his cool. She barely had her own wits , but both of them knew the more important thing was right in front of them. Getting him out of here and to safety was their major concern. After his wounds were dressed up Adrian spoke

, “ Ana we’re talking about this as soon as we get him home.” His tone implied there was no room for argument and Evyana knew it was only fair so she nodded .

The both of them managed to get Theo in the pick up , his breathing was steady  , he was merely unconscious . So they drove as fast as they could back to Evyanas house and on the way Adrian had called a friend of his , a pre med student .

At this hour Evyana couldn’t imagine how he’d managed to get someone , but he did , just to make sure that Theo was alright. Adrian had contacts and he’d known how to get work done from them , work which she wanted no part of , but this time it was for her. After they’d brought him home , they managed to get him out of his clothes into warmer ones Evyana had in her closet . The thing with her was , she’d preferred wearing over sized clothes , which came mainly from the men’s section and she also had a pair of men’s boxers . Adrian had managed to get him changed , as she took care of his weapons and carefully kept them in her cupboard . She knew they’d be the first thing he’d look for , and she’d intended to return them to him , to ensure him that he was safe. His bag , she’d kept it on her desk .

She recalled the books that he’d kept in them and was tempted to open and flip through them , it intrigued her , she wanted to know which book was so dear to him , what story it held , that he’d chosen those particular books to carry when he’d run for his life. Adrians friend showed up and checked up on Theo ensuring that he was safe. The whole thing seemed suspicious but this man barely seemed to care , Sam was an old friend of Adrian’s and he’d owed him a favor , the man was moderately tall and seemed to have that permanently exhausted look etched on his face , his glasses were askew , clothes crumpled and hair a mess , he did what was asked though and ensured them that Theo was alright .

Adrian had lucked out in terms of friends and having a med student , one at the top of his class , owing you a favor would have come in handy sometime or another. Sam left and Adrian found Ana in the kitchen “ Spill” he said, he was barely containing his irritation Evyana herself seemed a bit out of it , but Adrian hadn’t expected her to keep such a secret from him! He was her bestfriend , he thought he’d known everything about her . They’d helped eachother through their worst heartbreaks and in Evyanas case she had overcome far worse difficulties , with him by her side , how could she hide an entire person from him ? Who even was he? He was tapping his fingers on the kitchen counter as he waited for her to explain.

“ You remember the book I’d told you about? “ Ana started , she looked like she was trying her best to explain , her tone calm and sincere but Adrian was now on the verge of blowing up.

“ What’s that got to do with the guy lying in your room! " he almost yelled.

“ The guy , the guy in book! That’s him!” she explained frantically.

Adrian couldn’t wrap his head around what she’d said , he loved her with his entire heart but tonight was a bit too much for even him. He was about to ask her to elaborate , when they heard the sound of feet hitting the floor. He was up , the guy , Adrian realised and it seemed that Evyana had too , as she ran upstairs , she just ran , Adrian though was more careful and wary as he grabbed a knife the biggest one his bestfriends kitchen had and ran after her , he hoped the girl wouldn’t get herself hurt, he didn’t know how she knew him, but for him he was still a stranger with dangerous weapons , and he’d be damned if he wasn’t careful. She rushed in through the door to see Theo at her desk, the book in his hand and he’d turned around to look at her.

Theo remembered the attack , the kings guard yelling about securing the prince , Eirlys had no Prince . Eirlys only had a king and queen , he remembered the lightning flash and then he remembered her, could it be? He opened his eyes to find himself in a strange bed , only it wasn’t so strange , he’d seen this bed countless times , seen her sprawled on it , or found her reading , or watching a movie , and more often than not he’d seen her break , the times where he’d wished he could be there with her. Could it be? He realized his tunic wasn’t his own, he’d seen her wearing , she called it a t-shirt, and his pants where only the length of his inner garments with checkers on them , the clothes looked familiar but felt so different to him , but they smelled comforting , all of this seemed disorienting , he’d thought countless times about this room , questioned it’s existence and now he was here. He remembered being a child and seeing little Evyana cry herself to sleep , he’d tried comforting her but couldn’t reach her and it frustrated him more than anything , she couldn’t see him! And he’d cried himself to sleep too.

Till he realised that they were only dreams and he didn’t even know if she was real , now being here in her clothes in her room! Felt surreal too. He noticed his bag on her desk , the desk he’d seen her sit at and pour into books , she was her happiest after she’d written , he remembered , feeling curious about reading what she wrote. And now maybe he could. He wanted to know this was real, needed to! So he picked up his bag and started sifting through it till he found his book. The book that he’d maintained since he’d been a teenager. He opened it to a sketch , a sketch of this room, exactly the same , the broad windows made of glass , covered by huge red curtains , her single sized bed made of light coloured wood , over flowing with pillows and soft sheets , the light coloured walls , that she’d painted hoping that they’d take the darkness away the hard wood floor  , her cluttered lovable desk it was all the same.

He heard footsteps approaching and turned the page , a page that held her sketch, she was laughing not one of her pretend laughs a genuine one . Her nose scrunched up, her doe eyes looked like slits when she’d laughed, her lips carved a perfect smile , show casing her perfectly lined teeth , her raven hair surrounding her face. To him she was the most beautiful person he’d ever seen , he’d tried looking for her in Eirlys but all his attempts had failed. Now as he turned his book in his hand , and hope in his heart , he found her , right there, so close and yet so far . The girl of his dreams stood in front of him , and he couldn’t be more grateful , he couldn’t help but smile.