chapter 20

A few days had gone by and Theo seemed to make progress with Evyana in her training, her aim had improved significantly and she could wield a sword pretty well too. She was no match for the seasoned knights but she could hold her ground. It was difficult for Theo to train her, being in such close proximity almost had his head reeling , he could see and feel her muscles stretch under his arms as he held her hand and taught her how to throw a dagger.

        Her torso flexing as he held her to teach her how to wield a sword , Asena pointed out several times that the proximity wasn’t a compulsory factor and had any other knight tried it with her, Theo would have their head for it , he’d just shrugged it off but his flaming face , gave it all away. The proximity affected Evyana too, but she was more focused, her mind trying to figure out the link she seemed to miss. Cadoc was gaining more power, as his attacks seemed to get bolder by the day .

Theo and Evyana , were together almost the entire day, by now normally she would have been plagued by insecurities . He hadn’t given her a reason to be insecure yet though, she didn’t know how long it’d last , she felt like good things didn’t last long for her. It was a relief , to think about such a mundane thing amidst the ominous tornado of doom that was fast approaching. They hadn’t talked about anything though, and it did bother her a bit, but given the situation neither of them could be blamed.

Evyana was in her room , after the training had just finished , there was a knock at her door, she thought it must be Theo, she opened the door with a smile to reveal the Queen instead. She remembered she had to courtesy and didn’t know how , so she just awkwardly bowed her head , the queen let out a charming laugh , “ Well dear, we are well past that stage I’d like to think.” was her reply at Evyanas attempt to be proper.

“ I didn’t get a chance to talk to you , there’s so much we need to talk about.” was all she said , before strolling away, Evyana realized she had to follow.

           She was getting familiar with the castle corridors too now, and she realized they were heading towards the back of the castle , the same route Asena had taken that day. “ Theo seems quite taken by you.” At the Queens statement Evyana found herself fumbling for an answer , “ it’s mutual.” she blurted out.

            The queen looked at her, a look that implied she knew a lot more than she let on , but there was something else too, something Evyana couldn’t quite place. “ I know , it’s impossible to miss, the way you two gravitate towards eachother, his eyes always searching for you. I haven’t known him, as much as I’d like to, and it’s possible that you know him more than I do .” she said her smile dejected.

          Evyanas heart ached for her, she could see the queen truly cared for him, she hoped when all of this turned back to normal, they’d get to spend more time together , and that Theo would accept her .

     “ I did what I had to , being a queen was never going to be easy . It was difficult though, I didn’t want to believe the prophecy , they are twisted and unpredictable , and reveal only half the truth.” her tone was serious now , “ The connection you shared with Theo, even before you met eachother . Do you think it has anything to do with your feelings for him?” she asked .

     Evyana had pondered this so many times , she’d thought about Theo too whether he was just infatuated to her, and this whole dream bond had them harbor a false sense of profoundness. “ I’ve thought this over , so many times “ she started “ The dreams have a part in it , they do , but the thing is I don’t just see the glorified version of him , I’ve seen him vulnerable and even at his very worst. I’ve seen him in situations that would scare me and in ones that trigger my insecurities but , through it all , I saw him! It was not my choice to have the insight into his life that I had, but it was my choice to want to be with him, through it all and I could only hope it’s the same for him.” She explained to the best of her capabilities.

          The Queen seemed satisfied with her answer, “ You know , the dangers this world possess , you still have a chance to get out if you want , before all of this reaches a point you can’t get yourself out from.” The queen said .

“ I’d have left the night the portal dragged me here, if I felt like it, I assure you, I won’t back out .” Evyana said calmly.

“ I know you won’t. I just want to tell you that you can, the choice is yours.” These were the queen’s last words as she left Evyana wondering what this was all about.