1.

JANUARY

JANUARY.
THE SUN hadn't quite risen. A dark, midnight tone settled above her—a yellow hue brewing at the city skyline. Cold air sits in the atmosphere around her, a breeze disturbing the stillness of the hour. This was calming.

  Sayori had always been an early riser. As a child, she found herself fascinated by the morning hours—watching as the sun rose with the people of the city. This trait only deepened as Sayori matured—finding a peace of mind as she prepared herself for the day.

   "Thank you God," Sayori exhaled as the sun began to rise.

   Each morning, Sayori followed the same routine. Implementing a routine in her life was a trait she'd acquired from her grandmother—having order meant having structure, which was something Sayori lacked during her younger years. It was simple, yet detailed and would remain unchanged.

  Venturing into her home, Sayori pouted as she glanced at her blue-nosed pitbull resting in his bed. Lowering to his level, Sayori pet him softly, "Grand rising, Koda!"

   He lifted his head, his tail immediately wagging as she smiled down at him, "Did you sleep well, baby?" She rubbed underneath his chin, "Yeah?"

  Koda had been an important part in Sayori's life from the moment she got him. Her father—Sayon, gifted Koda to her as a means to aid her during her depression. He was an extremely smart dog—he was sensitive to Sayori's emotions and always knew when she needed a little support. To say she was grateful for him, is an understatement.

  "Are you ready to eat?" She asked, standing on her feet as he barked, "I'll take that as a yes."

  When done preparing Koda's food, Sayori headed toward her bedroom to get herself ready for the day. Connecting her phone to the speaker, she listened in on her favorite podcast—The Black Word. The women on this podcast spoke to Sayori's soul—it was an uplifting experience each morning. Pressing play, Sayori opened the glass door to her shower—allowing the hot water to penetrate her skin.

   "How are we this rising, family?" The hostess' voice floated through the speakers, "I hope we feel recharged and ready for the day ahead."

  "Our topic for this morning is seasons," Evi spoke with a clear tone, "I am not referring to the seasons of the earth, but rather the seasons of a person's life."

  "Hm," Sayori said aloud to herself, as she rinsed her body.

  "In life, we form bonds and relationships with those who've never experienced themselves in all seasons of life—at their highest and lowest points, in grief and sadness, happiness and anger. We expect people to know themselves coming into our lives, but we never think about the seasons they haven't experienced."

  "Ask yourself this question," Evi paused, "How can you expect someone to come into your life knowing themselves, but you do not know yourself? Have you experienced your life in all seasons? Have you dealt with grief, anger, sadness—have you understood your traumas and your lowest points? If you cannot answer these questions truthfully, then you cannot expect someone to come into your life ready for you, when you are not ready for them."