4.

JANUARY

JANUARY.
"Welcome to Starbucks," The barista smiled, "What can I get for you today?

Imaan stood in the line, glancing at the menu options with squinted eyes. His phone lit up in his hand—the search engine finally pulling up some results, "Do you think nurses like coffee?" He asked the Barista.

"Normally," The girl chuckled, "It depends on the type of person."

As Imaan held up the line, he scrolled through the options slowly—taking his time to read each ingredient. He didn't miss the exaggerated sighs of the customers behind him—he didn't care.

"If you had to choose," He paused, trying to figure out the pronunciation, "Would you get a caramel brûlée or an upside down caramel macchiato?"

"I would get the upside-down caramel macchiato," She suggested, as Imaan nodded.

"I'm gon' get that, in a size large," He replied, as she laughed, "What's it called? Venti?"

"Yes sir," She input it on her screen, "Would you like extra caramel drizzle?"

"People like extra caramel drizzle?" He inquired seriously.

"I mean usually," She shrugged.

"Well then, yeah. Put that on there," He scanned the dessert glass, "Y'all don't have them lil cakes on a stick?"

"You mean cake pops, sir?" She raised her eyebrows as he nodded, "How many would you like?"

"Two," He held his fingers up, "The pink ones."

As she input it on the computer, Imaan took out his wallet and grabbed his card. She read the price aloud, as he put his card in the chip reader, "Thank you for being patient, Ms. Shelby." He read her name tag.

"That isn't a problem," She smiled back, handing him his receipt, "It should be out shortly."

As he waited, Imaan became nervous. He was overthinking the situation, knowing it was simply a small token of appreciation. However, the way his mind worked, made him even more anxious.

Hearing his order, Imaan approached the counter with a slight smile, "Thank you." He placed a dollar bill into the tip jar before exiting the building and heading to his car.

It didn't take him long to arrive at the nursing home. Traffic was light, which was surprising for eight in the morning. Parking his car, he grabbed his things before walking past the automatic doors.