9.

MARCH

MARCH.
  "You gon' come with me, Phat?" Imaan asked, watching intensely as Sayori got dressed.

  "Come with you where, baby?" She turned to face him, "You keep asking me to come with you and I need to know where."

  March was coming to an end, which meant the Carriere Family Rodeo was approaching.  Imaan couldn't wait to be surrounded by his family and friends—some of which he hadn't seen in a while. He desperately wanted Sayori to be there for the three day event, especially after the last few weeks she'd had.

  "I want you to come with me to Louisiana," Imaan said, walking over to her, "The Carriere Rodeo is next weekend, and I want you there." He stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

  He didn't miss the nervous expression that flashed on her face. She gnawed at the inside of her cheek, letting Imaan know that she was becoming anxious, "Let me know what you're thinking."

  "Am I meeting your family too?" Sayori turned to face him.

  "I would like for you to meet them, but it's also about what you want. If you aren't ready yet, then you don't have to, baby," Imaan assured her, "I'd still want you to come, but not at the cost of your comfort."

  "It isn't that," Sayori sighed, answering truthfully, "I want to meet your family. I want to experience the Rodeo with you. It's just—the last time I met someone's family, none of them liked me. They placed judgement as soon as I walked through the door and I never even got the chance to introduce myself. You're the first person I've been so invested in, in a very long time. It's important to me for them to like me."

  As Imaan listened to her worries, he realized how different his family was built from others. They weren't quick to pass judgement nor base their feelings off of first impressions. They believed heavily in getting to know a person—their character shouldn't be based on one meeting, but based on words and actions. Even though Imaan was sure they'd love Sayori, he still wanted to reassure her and ease her nerves.

  "Whoever passed judgement on you without knowing you," He kissed the side of her face, "Missed out on you. I understand that you're worried and anxious, but I can promise you, you won't have to worry about anything. I'll be there and nobody gon' address you in a disrespectful manner. At the end of the day, as long as we are happy—that's all that truly matters."

  "Thank you," Sayori pouted, pecking his lips, "I want to think about it. As much as I want to meet them and be there, I need to be prepared for both responses—positive or negative."

  "Do whatever you need to do," He said calmly, placing a kiss on the nape of her neck, "Please finish getting ready. I'm ready to take your fine ass out," He grabbed a handful of her ass, gently squeezing it.