t e n

Jane Fox

Tommorrow is the championship game, meaning today's practice is our last one. Expecting to get in extra work today, I was surprised to hear Bombay say to dress in everyday clothes. Leaving my dorm room in black leggings with a white turtleneck on. Julie and I walk over to Axel, Adam, Charlie and Jesse's dorm. Once Jesse lets us in, I go straight to Axel's suitcase pulling out a grey nike sweatshirt to put over my turtleneck. Axel walks out of the bathroom, eying my sweatshirt. "Nice sweatshirt. I have one just like it.". "You do? That's crazy!", I grab his wrist, "Come on.". We barely make it out of the door when Axel has to tie his shoes. As I lean my weight onto the doorframe, I hear Julie talking. "Axel and Jane? Hell no, they are like brother and sister.", Julie chuckles, "Luis? Again like brother and sister. Calm down, I'm sure she likes you back". Before I could hear who it was, Axel pulls me towards the elevator. I find myself hoping it was Adam, but I doubt it. We just got back to talking, he couldn't like me.

      Bombay leads us out onto the ice with nothing but a beach ball in his hands. "Coach, shouldn't we have our hockey gear on?", Luis asks. While everyone else agrees with him, I whisper in his ear "Why did you say it like that?". "Shut up JJ.", he elbows me in the stomach, making me fall backwards. Waiting to feel the cold hard ice on my body when someone grabs my hand before I can touch the ice, pulling me up. "Thanks Ad.", I smile. "Guys, this is our last team practice.", Bombay smiles. "The return of captain blood.", Averman replies making the team laugh. "God no.", I whisper to Luis. All of a sudden a beach ball is in the air, hitting Averman in the head.

The whole team skates after the ball, throwing it, kicking it. I'm currently skating around with Adam, who is repeatedly apologizing for what he said to me. "How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not mad anymore. I got over it after a day, it was really only Julie, Axel and Luis who were mad.", I chuckle at the memory, "Anyways, look at how cute Jans and Mr. Tibbles are being!". Adam turns to look at the two older men helping each other skate around. But that cute moment is ruined when Tibbles sends himself flying over the boards onto an empty bench.

     The arena goes quiet, "Whats going on?". Adam turns me around to see my uncle Wolf and the whole iceland team standing there. Adam grabs my hand, leading me to the rest of my team. Uncle Wolf grabs the beach ball squeezing it till it pops, "Playtime is over. We have the ice now. You and your little rink rats must leave.". Catching the eyes of Bryce and Gunnar, Bryce gives me a goofy smile, while Gunnar gives a small smile. I wink at them. "The only thing little was your career in the pros.", Bombay teases making the original ducks laugh except for me and Adam. "This bitch shouldn't be talking, cause he didn't even go to the pros.", I whisper to Adam making him mumble in agreement. "Gordon no, let's go.", Miss. Mackay attempts to reason with Gordon. "Well, at least I had a shot. I was there.", my uncle fired back. "You were a disgrace.". "What did you say? Last time I checked, he wasn't a" I spat until Adam covers my mouth with his hand.
"I got it from here JJ.", Uncle Wolf reassures. "Let's go team. Come on!", Bombay tries to get us to leave. "Can you still move on the ice? Well, please play a little with me. Show me the famous triple deke your daddy taught you. Or was it that old geezer over there?", Wolf taunts. I roll my eyes, do you really have to go after the sweet old man? Marria hands my uncle a stick throwing it to Bombay. "Three bar, first one to hit both posts and the crossbar. Have to take it out past the blue line.", Bombay explains only to be cut of by my uncle, "I know the game.".

      While both teams are distracted by the game, I skate over to Bryce. Who meets me half way between the two national teams. "You really hate Bombay don't you?", Bruce chuckles. "Well he came after my uncle, I don't like when people do that. Gordon can't talk, he didn't even play in college. And the only reason he got into the minors was because of my dad.",  I scoff. Bryce was about to respond when team usa rushes over to Bombay. Who is laying on the ice holding his leg. "I'll see you later.", I give Bryce a quick hug before skating over to my team. Passing my uncle who I give a quick fist bump too. "Get your coach off the ice, we have to practice now."