e l e v e n

Jane Fox

     Walking up to the New Arrowhead pond arena in Anaheim. I'm running a bit behind, the team is already in locker room getting ready. Miss. Mackay had me stay back to finish a test, so I guess I had a pass. Without looking both ways, I bump into a tall male.  "Sorry JJ.", I look up to see Gunnar Stahl offering me a hand, which I gladly take, "Are you scared to go against the leading scorer in the whole tournament?". "Are you scared to go against the leading scorer in the whole tournament?", I playfully roll my eyes, "Don't forget we are at a tied amount for goals.". "Fine, may the vest scorer win.", Gunnar announces waving goodbye to me.

     Sneaking into the locker room, I run to my area going unnoticed. As I take off my shoes, "Look everybody, Janie Jay has decided to join us!", Charlie announces. The whole team claps before returning their attention back to the tv. I feel someone sit down next to me, without looking up, "Hello Ad.". "How did you know it was me?" "Your cologne. Are you playing today?.". "Yep, I woke up this morning and the pain was gone. Charlie is sitting so I can play. Thats not what I was going to tell you though. So, I'm going to tell you something important so don't interrupt me please.", I nod and he takes a deep breath, "What happened yesterday in the pool.". Preparing myself for what he is about to say, 'It was a mistake'. "I'm just going to throw it out there, that I really wished it had happened and I really like you.". He waits for my response as I take in what he just said. Adam likes me? Opening my mouth to respond, Bombay comes in cheering. "Alright team! Let's get out on the ice and win!". Before I could return to the conversation with Adam, Axel pulls me away.

———————————————————————————

       Team usa and Team Iceland are gathered at our benches, getting pep talks. Or in iceland's case, my uncle is telling them if they don't win. He will kill them. Theoretically of course but gets the point across. "First line! Center is Averman, right wing is JJ and left is Axel. Defenseman are Fulton and Dean. Heads high! Stand tall! Fly straight! USA!", we all join in, "All the way!". Skating to my position, I'm not mad that i'm not starting center just happy I'm starting.

     "We're ready for the opening face off in tonight's championship game. Team usa against iceland. Lester Averman will move in to take the draw for team usa. With his wings JJ Fox and Axel Primrose.", hearing our names the crowd of hockey fans erupts with cheers, "And off the face off, Gunnar easily pushes Averman down.". With Iceland winning the face off, #13 is winding up to shoot. Skating up behind him, I check him hard into the boards. Which is surprising because he is like 6'4' while i'm like 5'8'. In possession of the puck, I glide down the ice into the Iceland zone. Axel besides me knocking down any opposing players out of my way. Dean and Fulton are currently trapping an iceland player in the boards while Averman slowly skates behind. I slap the puck as hard as I can into the left corner of the net, scoring the first goal of the game.
The horn goes off almost as loud as the crowd.
1-0. "That's my girl.", Axel says attacking me with a hug. The other ducks soon to follow.

     Bombay calls the first line off the ice, switching us with the second line. Which consists of Connie, Adam, Luis, Dwayne and Ken. Joining Julie, she slaps the back of my head. "Nice shot.". The horn goes off signally that a team had scored. Turning my attention to the game in front of me, I see the iceland team hugging while Goldberg is laying on the floor. "Sanderson ties the game, 1-1." "It's all right. We'll get that one back.", Bombay assures. We all watch as Sanderson says a couple words to Goldberg, making Dwayne and Ken hold him back. "Is Goldberg asking to be killed?", Axel sighs throwing his body next to mine. "Be better for me. At least I'd get to play.", Julie jokes making me smile. "Line change! Guy, Jesse, Russ!", Bombay stops at Russ, "You ready? Get out there.". I cheer for Russ as he skates out onto the ice. My uncle recognizes Russ, "That's the shooter! Watch him! Get him!". Uncle Wolf sends out Sanderson and Gunnar. Russ in immediately trapped up against the boys by Stahl and Sanderson. Russ gets thrown into the boards, but gets up. As soon as he gets up to shoot, Gunnar slides stealing the puck away. Which ends up with the Iceland team scoring, 1-2. "We can't make it. Iceland's bigger, stronger, faster. They got more facial
hair.", Averman mumbles. "Anybody has more facial hair than you.", I ruffle his hair.