saturday, july 9th, 2022; 7:34pm
5 days, 15 hours, and 26 minutes until flight home

the car came rolling to a stop and makayla put it in park as clara opened her door, excited to stretch out after the ride from the airport. she ran up to the front door and tried to open it, only to realize that she didn't have a way of getting in without the key, so i laughed to myself and reached into the cup holder between makayla and annalise. i grabbed the keys and threw them to clara who managed to catch them, and she was in the front door of the vacation house within seconds, leaving the three of us to bring all of the bags in.

the four of us had graduated from high school just over a month prior. we were a close group of friends, and we didn't want to accept the fact that college would be starting in just a few weeks, forcing us to be apart and probably go our separate ways with the distance. wanting to have one final adventure together, we chose to rent out a house in the outer banks in north carolina. we were all finally eighteen and excited to be away from our parents for the week without having any adult responsibilities.

makayla opened the trunk of the rental car and i watched her and annalise grabbing three bags each as i stepped out, stretching out my legs and back. they walked into the house together, talking to each other for the short walk up the driveway, and i grabbed the two leftover bags. following behind them, i took a second to feel the warm ocean air of the outer banks.

i stepped up the small flight of stairs that lead to the house's porch and through the already-opened doors, closing them behind me and gently dropping the bags inside. hearing clara yelling from the third floor, and i guessed she had already claimed her room. i treaded up the set of stairs and followed the sound of clara's shouts to find her sprawled out on her claimed bed in the room adjacent to the kitchen and living room of the open, inverted floor plan.

"comfy?" i asked her, laughing to myself.

"you bet," she said with a smile and got up from the bed, going to grab her bags to start to get unpacked.

i went down the first flight of stairs, finding myself on the second floor, where the front door and bags were. i took my bags, slinging one over my shoulder and carrying the other in one of my hands. i checked the bedroom closest to the front entrance and saw annalise on the floor, putting her clothes in the dresser. we smiled at each other as i heard makayla come up behind me and walk through the doorway, sitting on the bed.

"which room did you choose, makayla?" i asked the blonde.

"the one next door. i guess that leaves you with the one on the first floor," she replied with a small laugh. i nodded and gave her a thumbs up with my free hand.

"got it, thanks!"

i walked down one last set of stairs and quickly found my room. it was painted a light blue and had two big windows. the bed was placed in the center of the room, and there were wooden accent pieces throughout, between the headboard, bedside tables, and picture frames. i threw my bags on the springy bed and opened the room's second door, realizing that it lead to its own bathroom of the same light blue color. choosing to unpack later, i started my trek up the stairs yet again. reaching the top of the second flight, i rubbed my calves, lightheardly cursing my friends for leaving me with the room on the bottom floor.

i got the chance to take a real look at the top floor for the first time, seeing a modern kitchen with stainless steel appliances and marble countertops. makayla was scouring the cabinets, checking to see what dishes and food had been left for the guests. i smiled at the sight, realizing that i'd be able to eat makayla's incredible cooking every day of the trip.