wednesday, july 13th, 2022; 7:48pm
1 day, 15 hours, and 12 minutes until flight home

we returned to the familiar food lion parking lot that seemed to house every shop in the town. the girls and i had decided to go to kitty hawk kites, a store that sold kites and other souvenirs because of the historic wright brothers. we were thinking of something to do that night, and happened to remember seeing the shop after realizing that it was the perfect weather to fly kites, with just the right amount of wind.

the four of us looked through the unfamiliar aisles, pulling out individual kites that caught our eyes as we went along.

"these are so cool!" clara said, pulling out a traditionally shaped kite with a cool color scheme and geometric designs printed on.

annalise went up to look at the kite just a couple spaces down, taking a diamond-shaped one with a sunset design on it, grabbing one of the same kind but different color scheme for makayla.

i was having a tougher time finding one i liked, being picky about which one i would end up buying since they weren't too cheap. snickering, i pulled my newest find off the hook.

"fundy would like this one," i spoke, looking at a semi-circle of a kite with a fox's face printed on it.

"what the fuck? i swear you're everywhere," someone said from behind me while laughing. i turned around, spotting alex and a few of the others. when i met his eyes, i started laughing, too.

fundy walked from the next aisle over after having heard his name and took the kite out of my hands. "for the love of god. you're in on it, too?" he asked, exasperated.

"so, what i'm hearing is you don't want the kite?" i clarified. he placed the kite back in my hands.

"it's all yours."

i looked around, seeing who else was there before realizing that the whole group had come to the shop and were all looking in different aisles. when my gaze met with tommy's, he smirked, walking closer to me.

"i get it, you're obsessed with me," he mused.

"you wish," i returned with a short laugh.

some people's kite selections surprised me more than others. karl ended up choosing a big one that was shaped and designed to look like a cartoon shark. alex got one that was clearly made for a kid, a poorly drawn t-rex being the main focus of it. wilbur chose one with two clipart style monkeys that were holding bananas. fundy's was a kite that was shaped like a big arrow, containing a stack of three minions from despicable me on it.

ranboo's, niki's, and tubbo's choices were actually rather pretty and overall fitting for them. niki's was depicting a monarch butterfly, and i was sure it would look great when flying. ranboo chose a phoenix, and its bright colors contrasted the light blue background and flowy tail. tubbo's was cheesy at first glance but admittedly very cool - it was a purple jellyfish with big googly eyes, but it had multiple different types of tails that were sure to make it look great in the sky.

tommy ended up deciding to get a complex kite, one made specifically to do tricks and it being made with multiple strings, naturally setting himself up to fail. i tried to talk him out of it, but he said he could handle it and that i would be surprised by his utter skill.

we ended up deciding to just stay together after the unplanned meetup, all gathering in the road outside my house because it directly lead to a dead end and i couldn't recall a single time anyone had driven on it.

slowly but surely, we all got our kites out and started to fly them, even the stupidest ones looking pretty good when in the sky.

unsurprisingly, tommy ended up getting his kite knotted up in itself within only about a minute. he started sulking but thought against complaining after he remembered that i had tried to talk him out of it, so instead, he came over to me and stood directly behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"hi," i spoke under my breath so only he could hear. he rested his chin on top of my head.

"you were right," he admitted, causing me to quietly laugh. we watched my kite fly together for a few minutes.

our fun came to an end, though, when alex's t-rex kite came crashing into mine and both fell to the ground in a tangle. along with the others, we abandoned our kites for the night, seeing them more as souvenirs of the day than anything else at that point.

"do you guys wanna play ninja?" clara asked.

"ninja? like the fortnite streamer? tyler blevins?" tubbo asked.

clara laughed. "no, it's basically a game where you stand in a circle. we go around clockwise and everyone gets one move per turn, and the aim of the game is to karate chop people's arms. if it's not your turn, the only way you can move is to move your arm out of the way of the karate chop. whoever is the last one standing without getting hit in both arms wins."

"sounds fun!" niki said.

"not to brag, but i used to be the actual best at this game," karl added.

"well watch out, karl, because y/n is really good at ninja," annalise replied with a smile.

surprisingly, everyone agreed to play. most people got eliminated fairly quickly, as it was clear that karl and i were both out for blood after the challenge that we had given each other. within a couple of minutes, karl and i were the only ones left.

the group split into two, everyone choosing a side to defend. wilbur, alex, fundy, and clara stood behind karl, cheering him on. when clara originally went to his side, i playfully glared at her, and she shrugged in return, shooting me a smile.

annalise, makayla, tubbo, ranboo, and tommy were on my side, and i shot them all a wide smile. niki was standing halfway between both groups, not wanting to chose a side, but cheering us both on instead.

in the end, i came out victorious. karl kept misstepping, losing his balance because of the way he was leaning, so he started to retreat, but i played offensively and kept swiping at his arms, ultimately catching him when he wasn't expecting it.

as my hand came in contact with his arm, i could only hear loud cheering behind me, and i felt myself being picked up. tommy and ranboo hoisted me over their shoulders, tubbo spotting me from the back to make sure they wouldn't drop me, like i had just won the world cup for their team.