L

If L actually had a chance to choose his successor, he would have chosen both Near and Mello. His reasoning would have been that Mello and Near are like Yin and Yang. They are opposites in many ways, but it's because of their differences that they go well together. Mello is emotional. He would work with his heart and would have no problem carrying out the risky and physical parts of plans. He would also be able to make sure that the cases are solved with the consideration of the human lives that will be affected by the cases. He would be able to show compassion and care towards the innocent people who are negatively affected by the crime that was committed. Near would be more of the brains of their team. He would devise their plans and stay behind while Mello carried out their plan. Near would be able to calm Mello down whenever he gets worked up over something. L would see both of their intelligence, Mello's emotional nature and willingness to take action and his ability to sympathize with others, and Near's calm nature and his ability to think logically and keep Mello's temper in check. L would reason that Near would be the logical and calm side of the L title and Mello would be the emotional and sympathetic side. They would balance each other and would work well together at L's insistence. I can see Mello putting aside his competition with Near for the sake of carrying on L's legacy, the legacy of the only person he and Near ever looked up to and respected.