Chapter 4: Thomas

~3rd Person P.O.V.~

"Light him up!"

All the gladers threw torches into the bonfire, before cheering. Gally wrapped his arms around Y/n's waist from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder, softly kissing her neck and cheek, making her smile.

From afar, now sat the greenie and Newt, sitting side by side, leaning their backs on a log. 

"Hell of a first day, greenie." Newt commented.

Greenie nodded, looking down at his hands.

"Here." Newt handed him a glass full of liquid in it. "Put some hair on your chest."

The greenie took it from him, taking a gulp, but just to spit it out afterwards, coughing and groaning.

"Oh, my god! What is that?" He coughed.

Newt chuckled, "I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret."

Both boys looked over their shoulders, watching the builder fight another glader in the small circle that was made.

"Yeah, well, he's still an asshole." Greenie commented.

"He saved your life today. Trust me. The maze is a dangerous place." Newt said.

The two looked at the walls, hearing sound coming from inside them.

"We're trapped here, aren't we?" Greenie broke the silence between them.

"For the moment. But," Newt turned his body, looking over his shoulder, pointing at something, the greenie following his finger. "You see those guys? There, by the fire? Those are the runners. And that guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners. Every morning, when those doors open, they run the maze... mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out."

"How long have they been looking?"

"Three years."

"And they haven't found anything?"

"It's a lot easier said than done." Newt smirked a little. "Listen." A silence went between them. The greenie listened carefully, hearing noises coming from the maze. "Hear that? It's the maze, changing. It changes every night."

"How is that even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us here, if you ever meet the bastards." Newt shrugged, smirking. "Listen, the truth is... the runners are the only ones who really know what's out there. They are the strongest and the fastest of us all. And it's a good thing, too... because if they don't make it back before those doors close... then they are stuck out there for the night. And no one has ever survived a night in the maze."

"What happens to them?"

"Well, we call them Grievers. Of course, no ones ever seen one and lived to tell about it. But they're out there."

The greenie and Newt stayed silent, looking at the doors. Then, greenie looked over his shoulder, his eyes searching for the only girl here. He's been curious about her all day. And it doesn't help that she looks so familiar to him.

"What about her? Y/n?"

Newt followed the boys gaze, seeing his best friend was what he was talking about. She stood near the circle, smiling while watching Gally fight. 

"She's been the only girl here for three years, now." Newt informed.

Greenie nodded, before turning his gaze to the builder. "What's the deal with her and Gally?"

Newt rose a brow at the boy, but answered, "They're together. They have been for about two years, about a year after she came up."

"What does she see in him?" He asked.