Chapter 7: The Last One

~Y/n P.O.V.~

"Things are changing." Gally started.

We all sat in the council hall. The Keepers stood in front of us, Thomas sat in the back, since we were discussing him.

"There's no denying that. First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight. And then Alby. And now our greenie, here, has taken it upon himself... to go into the maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here." Gally finished.

"Yeah... but he saved Alby's life." Frypan spoke up from beside Newt.

"Did he?" Gally looked at him with raised brows. "For three years, we have coexisted with these things. And now," he turned to Thomas, "you've killed one of them." He turned back to everyone else. "Who knows what that could mean for us."

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt asked.

"He has to be punished." Gally shrugged.

"Come on."

"He killed a Griever!"

Everyone started objecting Gally's idea, while I stayed silent. I was looking at nothing in particular, in deep thoughts, but still listening to everyone.

"Minho." Newt rose his voice over the crowd, making everyone silent. "You were there with him. What do you think?"

All eyes turned to the runner.

"I think... in all the time we've been here... no one has ever killed a Griever before. When I turned tail and ran... this dumb shank stayed behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make him a runner." Minho suggested.

"A runner? What?"

"Minho, let's not jump the gun, here." Frypan said.

"Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!" Chuck chanted his name, but no one joined him, making him stop.

"If you wanna throw the newbie a parade, that's fine." Gally rose his voice, making everyone quiet down. I could tell he was mad. "Go ahead. But if there is one thing I know about the maze... it is that you do not-"

He was interrupted by a familiar alarm.

The box alarm.

It's coming back up? Why? Since when?

Newt and Gally ran out, everyone else, including me following. Once I got there, Newt was already inside, looking at whatever was inside.

"Newt, what do you see?" Frypan asked.

"It's another girl." He informed.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Thomas come up beside me. 

"I think she's dead." Newt spoke again.

I studied her features. She looked really familiar. She looked like the girl from my dreams.

"What's in her hand?" Gally asked.

Newt carefully took the small piece of paper that laid in her limp hand, unrolling it before speaking.

"She's the last one... ever." He read out.

Everyone looked at each other in confusion and shock. I kept my gaze on the girl. 

"What the hell does that mean?" Newt asked.

Suddenly, the girl gasped, her eyes opening, making all the boys jump back, except for me. I didn't seem fazed by it. Honestly, I wasn't. I looked into her eyes, and they were a bright blue. This is the girl from my dreams. I saw her gaze land on me.