Chapter Two

Gif of how Luke looks when he goes to the park on the top/side!

Luke sat in the boys change room, awkwardly trying to avoid the stares of the other kids. He was still wearing his regular clothing, sheepishly picking at his shoelaces. He wasn't ready to change, with all these people in the same room as him. That's worse than Nancy seeing him shirtless.

He felt envy pump through his veins as the boys in his class took off their clothing with no sense of shame. Perfect abs, perfect muscle, just being all happy, and perfect. It made Luke feel sick and unloved.

He self consciously wrapped his arms around his stomach, gnawing at his bottom lip. He wished Michael were here. Michael was going to take gym with Luke, but the class ended up being too full, so he couldn't be in the same class as him. Sighing with relief as the last boy left, Luke quickly stripped out of his clothing and into his gym clothes.

He was running while pulling on his sneakers, tripping in front of the whole class when he stood on his shoelace. Face flashing red, Luke sheepishly pulled on his shoes and sat in the corner of the gym.

Alone.

Whenever Luke sits alone, he gets lost in his own little world. Hugging his knees and tucking his chin over them, Luke drew small shapes on the dusty floor. He didn't want to take this class. Julie suggested it, and his dad was proud of him when he told him how he took it up. And Luke hasn't felt his dad's love in a long while.

Suddenly, a jersey hit him in the face, causing Luke to snap from his thoughts. He looked up to see a boy with bright orange hair and a million freckles on his face holding out a hand for him to get up.

"We're playing basketball, and you're on my team," the ginger haired boy said. Luke tried to hide his hurt expression when he heard the boy mutter, "Sadly,"

Frantically pulling on the jersey, Luke followed the boy to the other side of the gym, gnawing at his bottom lip. Since Luke was the tallest out of the boys on his team, he had to start the tip off. But what they didn't know was that Luke was as athletic as a penguin. He barely understood the simple rules of soccer, let alone basketball.

Luckily, he got his team the ball, watching them to copy their movements. The way they ran, passed, and shot. When Luke was given the ball, he panicked and just threw it at the net. It went in and Luke felt proud for a moment, but by the looks on his teams face, he knew he did something wrong.

One of the kids in his class with black hair and bright green eyes, a boy who he now knew was named Matt, placed a hand on his shoulder. "Okay, so when I passed you the ball, I didn't do it so you could score on our net," he pointed to the other one across the gym. "That's the net you shoot on, got it?"

Despite his soft tone, Luke felt intimidated and nodded frantically. He blushed at the way the boys snickered at his stupidity, and he trailed behind them for the rest of the game. Better not play and look normal, than try playing and look stupid.

Once the game was over, the non-jerseys won, and everyone on Luke's team blamed him.

"I passed to you, like, twice," one kid shoved Luke back, glaring at him. "And one of the times, you gave it back to the other team!"

"You looked like a fucking gazelle, the way you were prancing around." Everyone laughed, while Luke just played with the hem of his jersey, sheepishly shifting from one foot to the other. When the ginger haired boy, that Luke learned was named Joseph, imitated that way Luke ran, he felt his cheeks turn pink.

This is why he hated gym class. This is why he didn't want to take, at least not without Michael.

"Look, he even blushes like a girl!" When the boys walked by him, they all shoved him with their shoulders. Luke stood with his head down, following them to the next station.