Forgive Me

It's already past midnight and I still haven't heard back from Ari.

She must be having a ton of fun or really drunk to not have responded yet.

"Hey man, one more before you head out?" Asuma says, shoving a beer into my hand.

I shake my head and place the bottle back onto our table.

"I'm actually just gonna call it a night. I'm pretty tired and I wanna get back home before Ari does."

He eyes me suspiciously.

"You're stressed as fuck about that mission, aren't you?"

I look down at the table and nod once.

"About the mission, about keeping it from Akari. All of it is stressing me out." I murmur.

He frowns at me and takes a swig from his beer.

"You're only doing it to protect her. She'd get killed out there if she had to face him. We all know that."

He's right. If she had been a part of this mission, she would probably end up dead.

"I just want to get it over with so I can come clean to her and give her the good news that he's fucking gone." I explain.

"Look, whatever you do, don't go into that fight thinking about Kurenai. We say that it would affect Ari too much but Kurenai was like our sister too." He sighs deeply.

"We almost lost you last time. So, just, be careful." He clasps his hand on my shoulder, giving me a small nudge.

I stand from my chair and give him a nod.

"I'll talk to you soon. Maybe when I get back." I mumble.

"See ya." He says as I turn and walk towards the exit of the bar.

I walk slowly on my way home letting my thoughts eat away at me.

I take my phone out of my pocket. Still nothing from Ari. I dial her number and put the phone to my ear, waiting for her to answer.

But after three rings it goes to voicemail.

I know the bar that she's at is always loud as hell so she probably can't hear her phone right now.

I shove my hands into my pockets, kicking a rock as I continue down the street.

We leave the day after tomorrow. How am I going to tell her last minute that I'm going on this mission.

She's going to be distraught. I know that the images of me unconscious in the hospital still torment her.

How can I put her through this again?

I don't want to cause her anymore pain than she's already felt.

This mission, this criminal.

I know it's all too much for her. She feels like she needs to avenge Kurenai's death and get revenge for nearly killing me, and she just can't handle that.

If Hidan was able to emotionally manipulate me into dropping my guard, why the fuck would she think that she would be okay against him?

The only thing I can be sure of right now is that when I go, Asuma and Iruka will keep her here.

Where she is safe.

They won't give her the opportunity to come after me.

Even if she somehow got away from them, hopefully we will have finished the mission by then.