Chapter 18

Jimin

"C-Calcifer! Are you okay? Oh, god, what do I do? Calcifer, hang in there!" I try to revive the fire frantically.

He looks at me with tired eyes. "Jimin, stop. You're going to smother me if you keep piling on wood."

My hands shake. This is all my fault. Calcifer and Jungkook are going to die and it's all my fault. Jungkook is out there, fighting to keep me safe while I just killed him with my ineptitude and emotional nature. I'm a failure. I love him so much, yet all I do is hurt him.

"Look," Calcifer begins, "there is a way to fix this, but I'm not sure you'll like it."

"What is it?" I perk up.

"If you give me some sort of part of your life force, I'll be able to recover."

I bite my lip and contemplate. This is what he did to Jungkook and it's part of why we're in this mess. There's no way I could give him my heart. I don't have the magical ability to even withstand that.

My hand grabs a pair of large cooking scissors for cutting through meat and I cut my braid, as close to my nape as I can get. I've had my hair long before I can even remember and I don't think I've ever really cut it before.

"Will this work?"

The fire demon grabs the severed braid, quickly gobbling it up. He lets out a cheer, burning large and bright to the point where I have to jump back so as to not have my eyebrows seared off. Calcifer roars happily, nearly burning the ceiling.

"Oh, yeah, that'll work!"

I smile and return to the hearth once the fire has calmed down. "Calcifer, can you take me to Jungkook? He could be injured. He shouldn't have to fly all this way. We just need to get close enough to ease some of the burden."

"Well, I can try, but Jungkook isn't in the best state, so I'm still not as strong as I could be."

"That's precisely why we need to get closer!" I argue. "Calcifer, you have to do this. Jungkook has to live!"

"I'll try my best." The fire focuses, making the castle's limbs move. We take off at a fast, steady pace.

My heart beats nervously and I grip my chest, wanting nothing more than to have the raven by my side. If only I had done a better job covering for him at the castle. If only we weren't at war.

A loud crash sounds, causing the castle to shake violently.

"We were hit by a bomb!" Calcifer yells. "I kept it from detonating, but the impact still did some damage!"

His words are shortly followed by debris raining down and one of the castle's four legs locks, causing us to tumble and the roof to cave in at a faster rate. Terrified, I do the only thing that I can think to do.

I shield Calcifer's body with my own.

Author's Note: Nobody is even here anymore. Lmao. Oh well.

What do you think of the chapter?

Make sure to take care and love yourself as best as you can.

With lots of love,

-BBM