twenty-five || no sense of direction

the song for this chapter is "Mr. Manson," by Max Diaz :) I really like this song for this chapter, so if you want to, feel free to listen :) I listened to it on repeat ahaha

***********

I went to hell and the devil said,

Mr. Manson, welcome back

it's good to see you again

***********

Finley

   I didn't bother turning the headset on while I drove, and I don't think Tommy nor Alex wanted me to. This wasn't like I was training for a race, it was simply me blowing off some steam. I didn't even really have to think as I drove, it was like the actions were already muscle memory for me. My hands instinctively upshifted and downshifted on the metal paddle shifters behind the steering wheel, my feet worked the throttle, gas, and brakes as though that was what they were born to do. 

    The sun was growing lower and lower on the horizon line, and I would have enjoyed the sunset if I hadn't thought about my astronomy class, the same place I met Jax. He ruined the stars for me, which was always something I was so passionate about. I loved astronomy, I would do my own research outside of class, just to learn more. 

    As I drove, a memory popped into my head. It was one of the first classes in astronomy, and I was sitting next to some girl who looked like she couldn't care less about this class, nor what I wanted to tell her, but due to my immense amount of excitement, I leaned over anyway.

   We were talking about the sun, and how to tell the time based on where it was in the sky, and I remembered something I had read in a book about astronomy once. With my immense level of excitement, as we began talking about when the sun reached the horizon, I leaned over and whispered.

   "Did you know that when the sun is right at the horizon line, it's already set? So when we think we are looking at the sunset, we actually aren't? In reality, the sun would have set like a half-hour beforehand, or like fifteen minutes beforehand," I explained.

   The girl looked at me with a disgusted expression and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, bullshit. And, I don't fucking care," she shrugged. 

   My heart stung a bit at the rejection, and I slumped down in my chair next to her, crossing my arms over my chest, feeling a bit defeated.

   But then, moments later, I heard my teacher say something that made me sit up a little straighter.

   "So, most of you probably see the sun hitting the horizon, and assume that is the sunset, right? Wrong. Although that is the idea that most people hold, the sun has actually set a couple of minutes before that," he explained, and with a snarky expression on my face, I fixed my posture and turned my head ever so slightly to the girl next to me.

   She was now the one with her arms crossed over her chest, looking at me in annoyance.

 "I told you so," I shrugged, turning around smugly to face the front of the room again.

     I heard a faint chuckle from behind me, and I turned around, and there he was. Jax.

 His lips spread wider into a toothy grin, and even in the darkness of the planetarium, I felt like he could see me blushing.