Chapter 35

I took a seat where I was on the field and allowed the ring closest to me to expand vertically.  Elemental control was still difficult to do in large bursts like this one. So immobilizing myself was the safest plan to give me the greatest chance of success. Right now, the flames also acted as a better defense than my physical prowess. Marissa still had no clue what I was up to.

When the flames reached two feet over my head, I allowed them to cone, over me. So long as I kept the intensity of the flames hot enough that any water they came in contact with vaporized instantly, even Stephanie wouldn't be able to attack me without injuring herself in the process.

From inside the cone of flames, I couldn't see either one of my attackers. But they could see my flames. And that was all I needed.

The second circle I had formed and allowed to expand I broke on the side closest to Marissa and allowed it to continue to expand. She kept herself away from the two pincer like ends I had formed now on either side of her and turned her back on the cone of flames I resided in.

When the ends had reached far enough passed her that I knew she wouldn't react to them in time, I reconnected them. She realized her own error too late and immediately sprinted for the nearest edge she could reach of the now oval shape, hoping to vault over it. I allowed the flames to expand vertically once again, this time to the height of a small building.

Marissa looked left and right, but finally settled on me when she realized there was no way out unless she jumped. She feared jumping because if she did, all I had to do was expand the side of the ring she was jumping over to reach her height and singe her on the way through. It wasn't against the rules to hurt one another, and given how far she was trying to push me, I doubted anyone would hold me responsible for her injuries if I did.

"Very good," she said to herself.

As she finished, I began to shrink the size of the oval from its overwhelming size to one that was far easier for me to manage. If she hadn't fallen into place when she did, I would've had to change my plan or risk losing control of the flames altogether.

"Noah, you win this round," she said, now very nervous.

But I was far from finished.

I continued to shrink the size of the oval and Marissa began backing towards me, away from the flames threatening her life if she didn't.

"Noah!" she screamed, but I still had more to show her.

I pulled her in as close as twenty feet from me before I lowered the cone of flames I had surrounding myself. She and I were the only ones in here, I'd made sure of it. And if anyone tried to interfere, I would allow the wall of fire to consume them before they cleared it.

"You win," she said again, her fear evident.

"Not yet I haven't," I said allowed and lowered my back slightly.

She mimicked my actions, but feared the flames on either side of her too much to completely focus. "The Deseparian aren't going to play fair," I said and dove forward, striking her right leg. She dipped and swung at me but I followed with an elbow to her other thigh. That one was going to bruise. "They don't want you alive." She could barely stand on either leg now but fought to stay upright. I pushed through her defense as if it wasn't there and grabbed her by the jacket, pinning her to the floor. "They need you dead." She was horrified at me.

As I took in her appearance, a wave of fatigue fell over me. It came out of nowhere.

"Please don't make me do that again," I asked, releasing her and collapsing on the floor next to her. I was exhausted, panting like a dog after a run. "You win. I'm stronger." I huffed a few more times as my eyes grew heavy and I allowed them to close. "Now what?"