Chapter 20

The rain had been washing this town since early morning. I'd been in my room for the better part of my day, staring out the window at the grey skies and flooded streets. John was stuck at work for now, unable to drive home safely which meant I was in charge until he came back. At least it would have if I was actually his son, this was actually my house, and Myra wasn't here.

She'd been in the kitchen cooking since John left this morning, preparing a variety of different dishes for when he came home tonight. Sheppard's pie, baked ziti, even a small pot roast which had been marinating in seasoning since yesterday afternoon. Why she was baking all of these things, I didn't know, but I made sure to steer clear of her path. I made the mistake of asking if I could help when she first began and she laughed me out of the kitchen, waving her hands and ushering me back upstairs to my room.

Clark, Rebecca, and Simon were also stuck out of the house right now. Their schools weren't allowing students to leave for fear of their safety getting home in this weather, but I wasn't going to argue against that. The more time Simon got to spend away from me, the better his mood seemed to be when he came home. At least until he saw me or passed by my room.

Becky and I were on speaking terms now. She came home from school the day after Bill's most recent visit and told me all about her day even before she addressed her mother or father. The two of them were about as shocked as I was, not to mention Simon and Amy. Simon was angry with Becky for betraying him, because now that she too had come around, it left him alone as the single person in the house who still didn't care for me. But I wouldn't push it. Clark had moved passed his own barrier, well and truly before Becky and spoke to me almost as often as Amy when he was home. I still wore the macaroni bracelet he'd made for me while at preschool. It wasn't anything special, just a piece of string and about twenty or so painted macaroni pieces tied together, but he'd managed to choose my two favorite colors; red and green. I knew I hadn't told him, but Amy might have let on if he'd asked.

And then there was Bill. He'd stopped by once since that day to check in on John and his family. Apparently, he'd put in a request for a transfer and wanted to let John know before somebody else informed him. The neighborhood knew about this and about what had happened between Amy and myself that day in the hills. Needless to say, not one house on the block approved and made it known with a series of visits and phone calls to vocalize their opinions on the matter.

So now, I was here, stuck in this room, the rain striking the pane just a short distance away from my face. I hadn't left the house in over two weeks now. Quite a jump in time. Trust me. I know. But when I had nothing to do but spend time alone with my thoughts and Amy, the days felt like years. And nothing ever happened. I could tell you about waking up for the last 14 days and eating porridge or cornflakes for breakfast, reading a new book, or working out in the den by doing pushups and pull ups for hours on end, but what would be the point? You don't want to hear that and I have no desire to share it.

Even more than my exciting itineraries for the days, I now only left my room or the den to shower, eat, or play a game with the family, save Simon. I was far too afraid of somebody sneaking around the house and peeking in through a window to find me here so I only came out of my room when someone else was home. Being confined wasn't all bad, though, apart from my recommended sneaking around. Even when the kids were at school and John was at work, Amy and Myra were still around to keep me company and keep a look out for me.

John's study had become more than just a pastime for me and was now my only place for peace since Clark and Becky had opened up to me. No matter where I was, be it in bed, on the couch, or even taking a shower, one or both of them always needed me for something. And I didn't mind it. I enjoyed being needed, wanted to have around. But I needed time away, just like any normal person did.