Epilogue

And your rescue? You are sure you left no room for more suspicion than exactly necessary?

Of course, Master. Everything is going exactly as you said it would.

Seven days had passed since Noah's return and already, his life was falling back into place. So much, that his family's bond seemed even stronger now than it ever did before he left. The moment he was awake in the morning, his mother had a meal waiting for him, along with everyone else in the house. According to his siblings, this was a side of her they hadn't seen since the day he'd disappeared.

His family has already taken him back, you said? His sudden curiosity in the human's personal life bothered me, but I kept my words isolated. Interesting, I would have thought them far more resentful than this. But I suppose it is to be expected. His understanding and reasoning must have come from somewhere. I remained silent. I trust you are still able to maintain your hold on him? It wasn't a question.

Yes, Master.

Are you sure? You are welcome to more support if you need it.

No, Master. I can manage.

I see. Are there any new developments since we last spoke?

None that I can recall, Master.

You are behaving unusually straight forward tonight. Is something troubling you?

I hesitated before I spoke, but made sure I spoke, none the less. I cannot help but think that this would all be much simpler if you were to come and take care of these vermin right now. You could do it. Without conjuring even half your true strength, you could eradicate every ounce of life on this planet and continue on with your true goal, uninterrupted! I held my tongue and tried to stay my tone. I am sorry, Master. Please, forgive my outburst.

But where is the enjoyment in that? It is not about the inevitable victory, but all for the thrill of the fight. Giving the accursed race their one last hope of defeating me and then crushing that very hope with my own hands. Which is why I need him to be ready for my return. I want to savor this fight as long as I can before it is over. I want to relish in every moment of their efforts to defeat me. Who knows? He might even delay me, if you prepare him well enough.

What if I fail, Master? I steadied my tone again, fearing his response. What if he is not ready before the time comes?

There is nothing to worry about, friend. You are a Deseparian, a part of me, much larger than any other out there. I have faith in you because I have faith in myself. You will not fail because I would not fail. So do not worry. He will be ready when the time comes. One way or another.

Of course, Master. Is there anything else you need from me?

I feel I should be asking you that. I could feel his eyes towering over me. I sense that something other than my delaying the inevitable is troubling you.

The prophecy, Master. It speaks of him as the Guardian. I know I have said it before, but the one actually destined to bring about your demise is not him. Yet, whatever it is he is meant to protect is not the fight you truly seek in all of this. Is that not what you should aspire to, most?

Where the building is made to stand tall, it is only as strong as its weakest pillar.

And you see him as this pillar?

Of course not. I see their Alpha, their final hope, as the pillar. But this boy, this boy is nowhere near the same plane as the rest of them. True, this Alpha may one day surpass him, but while I cannot foresee the future, I take comfort in knowing that this boy will grow to be a fine man. A man more worthy of killing. More than any ruler or king. While I fight to end what life he has built, he will fight to protect it with all he has. I cannot say the same for this Alpha. Whoever it is was chosen because of what he is, but he was chosen because of what he will become. And that is what intrigues me, so. That is why I placed you within him and did not seek out their Alpha. Do you understand? He is the true prize in all of this.

But the prophecy said-

The prophecy is the final thoughts and feelings of a dying race! Their blood may flow strongly through the Armanai, but they are merely a fraction of what their ancestors were! He paused to regain his lost composure. The only thing I need you to focus on is getting him ready before the time comes.

Of course, Master. I now felt like my inferior human half. So many questions and no hope of answering them all. Is there anything else you need from me?

No. His once suppressing eyes now softened over me. I hate to think they have degraded you to such low standards and appreciation, but do not waver. The time to strike will soon be upon us. Make sure you yourself are also ready. There can be no margin for error.

It shall be done, Master.

Before you go... There was a long pause before he spoke again. I could not determine its purpose. ... What of the other one?

Strange that it had taken him so long to ask. In fact, it sounded as if he had almost forgotten the matter entirely. Still asleep and his presence a mystery to the other Separian.

Good. Another long pause. His presence could be the single greatest undoing of everything that you have accomplished. Ensure you keep him contained.

It shall be done, Master.