Who is Petey?

*Chapter 17*

Kicking and struggling, Murry fought the tightening hold that cut off the air to his lungs.

So much for this not being painful.

If Murry knew meeting Octnavin would mean his death, he wouldn't have bothered to comb his hair.

Rhylent held Murry's left arm. With his right, Murry tried to yank at the tentacle that cut off his air supply. The skin was rock hard and unforgiving. JP walked a few steps away from his siblings like he couldn't watch. Kel fought his bonds.

Murry was going to die. After all he'd been through, who would have figured this was the end?

~ Grip his right bottom tentacle. ~ Petey sounded frantic

Murry flailed his arm outward. A gut instinct of self-preservation shot through him, fueled partly by Petey. The whisper was insistent and authoritative. How could such a small piece of silk around his arm be that bossy?

Murry snagged the right tentacle on Octnavin. With everything he had left, he held on.

Octnavin tried to shake him off and then stopped. Petey spoke in a language that Murry didn't understand.

"Very clever human, but no."

Petey spoke again as Murry became dizzy. The world narrowed to tunnel vision. The tentacle around his neck lightened the hold. Murry wheezed with a slight breath. Petey's voice was like venom. The words got louder.

As his brain started to ache, Murry let go of Octnavin's tentacle. That didn't help. Petey got louder and louder as his demands continued.

Abruptly, two things happened at the same time. Murry could hear Octnavin in his head and then Rhylent and JP. It was like Petey invited a party. Kel was still there, but his alien was as if the connection was in surround sound. Also, Octnavin let go of him at the same time Rhylent did. Murry collapsed to the ground, coughing and gathering his breath. He tried to breathe, but also, he covered his ears. The chatter was deafening.

"You are not one of us. You cannot call a Furlo." Octnavin turned to Kel. "Only a Dagerstanteen can ask for a Furlo before execution. That is the way."

"Wait a moment." JP spun around and stared wide-eyed at Murry, who was still on the floor. "We would have to wait for Fenton to return for a Furlo."

"A what?" Murry tipped sideways on the floor.

"That is what the human wants." Rhylent crossed his tentacles over his chest. "He knows it."

Kel stopped wiggling in anguish and went perfectly still. Carefully, he knelt.

"That is correct. I am a Dagerstanteen. I call for a Furlo on Murry's behalf."

"How do you know this?" Rhylent snapped at Murry, and then he spun on Kel. "That is not for another species to know. You should not have taught that history to a human. That is the old way. That breaks more than one rule."

Murry was about to say that he didn't know what the hell they were talking about, but he didn't get the chance. Petey and Octnavin were at it again. Now, all Murry wanted was for everyone to shut up. Before he could get the demand for silence out of his mouth, Petey was talking in that foreign language faster this time and with authority. Octnavin responded in his head. The two fought like a verbal boxing match. Murry's brain began to throb. Petey and Octnavin got louder as if trying to talk over each other. Could a human brain burst?

Murry covered his head and whimpered. He had to escape the noise. He knew the sounds were inside of him, but maybe if he left, they would shush. Murry crawled a few feet and then closed his eyes and pressed his face to the cool tile floor.