Prologue

"Centuries ago, Atlantis was a vast and technologically advanced society that resided above the seas. Through greed and ambition, we were cast below, but gifted the ability to breathe underwater. While some devolved, others evolved. And so, the 7 kingdoms were founded: Atlantis, Valor, Xerbel, The Brine, The Fishermen, The Deserters , The Trench. And although the Kingdom of the Deserters is no more, it's blood still runs in the sirens, our people."

"Is that why we look different from the fishermen?"

My mother looked down at me with a smile. "It's also why we are gifted with our abilities. Metamorphosis, mimicry, the power of the voice."

"Father doesn't like it when I sing. We're not scary. Everyone in Lazurin is pretty nice, so why is he scared?"

"Sometimes people are scared of what they don't understand. That's why we have to exercise caution and train ourselves."

"If I do that....will I be able to sing to father?" I shift under the covers and a crease forms between my mother's brows. "Our voice gives us power, Leora. It is a gift and if your father doesn't accept that, then you shouldn't change to please him. Do you understand?"

My lips thin and I nod my head. "Yes, mother...."

"The moment you hide who you are from someone you love, you are ensnared in fear and self-doubt. Only keep people who will accept you for who you are around you."

"You need people who you can trust. The moment you look around yourself and are surrounded with people you trust more than anything—that is a feeling not many in the royal family have experienced."

She smiles down at me as she tucks a stray hair behind my ear.

"Have you ever felt that way, mother?"

She hesitates before smiling as she recalls the distant memory.

"I have...a very long time ago."

"I can't wait to make more friends..." I yawn. "Now, make sure to rest. We have early vocal training in the morning."

"Okay...mother..." I say, eyelids getting heavy.

She kisses my forehead..."I love you, Leora....with all my heart."...and I drift off to sleep.