VII

Vulko had grown too comfortable hiding the truth. He was sure that no one suspected him, not even noticing that I had followed him the entire way.

As he neared the surface, emerging from our world and into the world of humans, I wanted to believe that he was just curious.

There was no way the Vizier of Atlantis would commit treason, however, the Queen had been executed on those same charges not long ago.

Hesitantly, I peeked above the surface, scanning the shores for Vulko. My sights stop on two figures— Vulko and an unknown human.

My pulse quickened as I saw the two smiling in comradery, ignorant of the sea's suffering. That dreadful feeling of being lied to soon turned into an overflowing anger.

My blood boiled as I emerged from the seas, the waves reacting to my volatile emotions.

The two soon notice me and Vulko's eyes widen as he sees me. He calls out my name and I raise my hand, a tendril of water slamming him on the shore, holding him in place.

"....Liar..."

"Leora..." He grimaces as he calls my name.

"Liar!!!" I scream at him, eyes burning as a strange fluid rolls down my cheek.

"Let him go."

The boy hold his weapon at me. I look down at it, recognizing the familiar silver trident.

"That's her trident...why does he have her trident, Vulko?"

"Leora, he's her son..."

It hits me harder than I realize. The water around Vulko dissipates and is absorbed by the sand. I look at Atlanna's son, poised to attack me.

He had her eyes, and his brunette roots faded into her blonde locks.

The waves rage behind me, encasing me. He thinks that I was going to attack, and flinches. I didn't want to. I just wanted to go home.

And before the waves take me away, I glance at Vulko one last time before leaving.

*4 Years Later*

I decided to take my father's offer after all. After years of training from the finest knights and scholars from the kingdom, I have made it to this point.

"Lelazora Euphonia Cearulius under the banner of the Fisherman Empire, I, King Ricou the First, hereby grant you the title Dame Leora of Lazurin. May you serve and uphold your homelands morals and customs for the remainder of your years."

The blade touches both sides of my shoulders and I look up to see the proud smile of my father. 

He nods and I rise from my kneeling position. Unable to contain his overwhelming joy, he hugs me and at that moment, I felt like I had achieved everything I wanted.

After the knighting ceremony, the ball begins and is in full swing.

"Forgive me for stealing my daughter away."

My mother gives her famous smile as she drags me away from the dignitaries.

"Thank you, mother. I thought I'd be talking to them for an eternity."

"I've chatted with that lot before. They're all so dreadfully bland. But onto the more important topic."

She looks me up and down, taking in the distinctive uniform of the Royal Guard.

"I know I wasn't the most supportive of your choice to join the knighthood, but seeing you now; the things you have accomplished... I've never been prouder."

"That means a lot to me, mother."

She grabs my hands and looks me in the eyes.

"Now all you need is a proper husband."

My eyes widen as I look around the room.

"Mother!" I whisper yell at her.

"What? You're beautiful, successful...who wouldn't want to marry my daughter? I know the last time I brought you suitors, you rejected them all on the spot. I thought that it was because you were so focused on the knighthood, so I waited. Was I wrong?"

It was true that my love life was nonexistent due to my goals to become a knight. The thought rarely occurred to me, and I rejected anyone who wanted to pursue anything with me.

Now that I am where I am, I would rather focus on the start of my career.

"Uh..." And as much as I wanted to tell mother that, I was shocked that she still held out hope for the possibility of a spouse for me.

"Sir Caerulius, I have something urgent to discuss with you!"

Someone pulls at my forearm, away from my mother. I look at my hero and see Princess Mera.

"We aren't done here, child!"

Mother yells, and is quickly approached by a group of noble women.

"Thank you, Mera. I owe you one."

"Please, I understand how uncomfortable the subject of marriage can be. My father never lets me hear the end of it."

"Oh yeah...how is Orm? Is he here now?"

I look around the room and spot Prince Orm chatting up some nobles. He doesn't seem to notice Mera and I .

"I worry about him sometimes. His father was unable to attend. He doesn't seem to be getting better."

"Gods, Mera."

"I know..." She looks at me with lamenting eyes.

The king had been sick for some time now. He's tried to make it seem otherwise, but he hasn't been out of Atlantis for a while now.

If what Mera says is true, he'll have to go through the death of another parent. What a way to inherit the throne.

"The King has always been....hard on him, but he's still his father. I can see how this is affecting him, but he doesn't want to talk about it."

"That definitely sounds like Orm."

"Am I interrupting?"

We both turn to the sound of the familiar voice. 

"Vulko..."

I mutter his name with an elegant indifference. Mera curtsies as she addresses him.

"It is a great honor to be knighted. It brings me great pride to see my former squire achieve such a goal. Congratulations."

He smiles at me.

"Thank you." I accept his compliment like I would any other noble. Mera looks at the both of us with a concerned side eye.

After returning home, I decided to keep Vulko's secret. I wanted nothing to do with it, in fact. 

He would occasionally come to the Fisherman Kingdom as part of an envoy. He would try to speak with me, but any conversation that we would have wouldn't last.

I never truly forgave him.

The awkward tension sets in and Mera is the first to speak. "I've heard that the Fisherman kingdom is working on a new initiative to eliminate the waste in our oceans."

I give a wry smile towards Mera, noticing her attempt at conversation.

"Ah, yes...Father is very proud of it and has enlisted the help of a local organization. We should see some changes in the coming ye–"

Someone bumps into me, violently, almost causing me to fall over. I look back to see Amara glaring at me.

"Is it too much for you to watch your step?"