III

The compliment comes from nowhere, awkwardly making its way through the man's lips.

"Oh, thank you." I smile and accept the compliment with a graceful nod. "How has Duchess Lazurin been fairing?"

I tilt my head in confusion, eyebrows furrowing at his question. I knew mother was beloved by many nobles in the court and had many admirers, but to be as bold as to ask about her while in front of the Queen...

"I'm sorry, sir. I don't believe we've met before?" I asked with a bewildered smile, and he seems to catch himself.

"My apologies..." His eyes dart towards the Queen before looking at me. "My name is Nuidis Vulko, Vizier to the throne of Atlantis. You may address me as Vulko."

"Nice to meet you, Vulko." I say as I curtsy. 

"Well, I wish I could stay and chat, but the Queen was escorting us to our vessels."

I look over to the Queen, giving a subtle twitch of my brows to indicate that I would like to exit from this awkward conversation. "Ah, yes. Unfortunately, you've caught us at a poor time, Vulko."

I nod in agreement and smile regally.

"However, I'm sure the princess would be fine with a little extra time to view the recruits' sparring sessions." I do a double take and give a baffled look at the Queen.

What is she doing???

She looks at me with an amused grin and I scream internally at the sudden betrayal. What's going on right now?

Vulko looks at me, hopeful while still maintaining a degree of stoicism. "Of course, I would be honored to attend...along with Princess Mera."

She shoots me a glare. "I didn't–"

"Well then, it's settled. We'll meet here after classes end." The Queen interrupts, and Mera mirrors what I had been feeling prior.

It made me feel reassured to have company. Vulko's first impression was a bit unsettling. Though, from the Queen's insistence, he may not have meant for it to be so.

I feel a nudge on my shoulder and look next to me to see Princess Mera with a candid look in her eye. "I'm going to get you back for that."

She said so— as sure as her hair was copper red. I held back my remark, holding back a smile from her. 

Best not to push her further.

.  .  . 

The next day, after classes, the Queen leads us to the training hall. Entering, we notice that recruits are seated while two others stand at the center of the room.

They acknowledge each other with a bow.

"Begin!" Vulko's voice booms through the room, causing me to jolt slightly, and the two recruits begin to fiercely spar with each other. 

It was hand-to-hand combat. The two warriors carefully throw attacks and dode with trained precision.

As the blonde haired one swings to attack, their brunette opponent lifts their right leg to attempt to kick. Narrowly, the brunette's adversary blocks the kick with their left forearm.

Blonde hair backs away to regain some space, but is followed relentlessly. They circle each other— like true predators and launch towards each other once again.

The both of them seemed to be easily matched, so the winner of the fight wouldn't be easy to determine. The fight held all of my attention, my breath hitching at the sight of a minor slip up as it would be the determining factor of the victor.