As Ready As We'll Ever Be

Cas.

"Mom I don't care that he's my brother." I told her and she crossed her arms at me.
My mother decided to drop by and give me the worst news I could possibly ever think about.
"Castiel, come on now."
"No mother, I won't go."
"Maybe you should Cas." not Dean chiming in with his two cents.
"Have all of you forgotten why he's locked up in the first place? Have you forgotten all the terrible things he did. He tried to kill me mom!"
"Castiel, I know." she said placing her hands on my shoulders
"You think I don't know that, you think I have done everything in my power to make sure he's gotten help? I think, and I really do think he's changed. Everyone older now, I just want you to see him before they move him somewhere else." she told me.
"I'll go with you Cas, if it makes you feel safer or better. Trust me, I don't want to see him either but I'm willing to make that effort." Dean said from the table looking at me and I looked back at my mother.
"Fine, is everyone else going as well?" I said walking away from my mother into the kitchen.
"If you mean your brothers then yes, they'll be there as well."
"Okay." was all I said.
My mom looked and Dean and face him a soft smile. To clear any confusion she came over to explain how Lucifer was getting out of prison tomorrow and wanted us all to be there for the day before he goes into a crazy house. Of course I don't want to be there but I'd do almost anything for my mother, she's my mom for goodness sake. But this, this was pushing it in every way possible. The man who couldn't handle a breakup and put us through so much torment in high school. The man who assaulted my husband and was willing to take me out of the picture to get him back. A man who had gone off the deep end and only saw one option there. I got myself a glass of water and looked back at the two who were at the table talking amongst themselves about tomorrow probably. I put the glass down and walked over.
"So he'll be staying in the state?" Dean asked her.
"Yes, they want to make sure if anything happens I can be there."
"Imagine still having to take care of your oldest kid." I said joining into their conversation.
"It's not that bad, I just want him to be better."
"And what if that doesn't happen?"
"Then he'll just be there for the rest of his life."
"Tragic." Dean placed his hand on mine and shook his head.
"Some people can't be helped mom."
"Some can't, and I'm ready to accept that fate if it is the one to happen with Luce."
"At least you optimistic." Dean smiled at her and she smiled back.
"I'm a mother, it's times like these where I have to be. I have to hope and want what's best for my son. All of them." she said looking up at me.
"Are you staying the night?" I asked her and she nodded.
"Perfect." Dean said.
"Your brother should be here, I don't know where he is. You know youngsters nowadays." she said referring to Gabe.
"You know he takes his time with things he doesn't want to do." I told her snd she shrugged her shoulders at me.
"So Michael will be meeting us there?" Dean asked her.
"Yes, he didn't want to bother you all. I just could bare the thought of Gabriel driving all the way from campus there, its a pretty long drive." she told us.
I mean, she was a bit overdramatic about it, kid was only two hours out from us. But I guess it's whatever since he's mommy's little baby. They sat in silence at the table and I walked back into the kitchen to turn on my kettle I needed a cup of tea. I turned around to wait for it to heat up when the doorbell rang and I motioned to Dean that I'd get it since I was already standing up. I walked over to the door swinging it open to reveal my little brother with a duffel bag and a smile.
"Cassie!" he practically yelled giving me a hug.
"Hi Gabe." I said letting him go and he walked in.
We walked to the kitchen where he was greeted by Dean.
"Whata up little man." he said laughing.
"Hey Dean! Hi mother."
"Hi my baby boy." she said getting up to give him a proper hug.
"Here let me take this for you." Dean said grabbing the duffel bag off his shoulder and walking away to our spare room.
We'd put a bed in our nursery for the time being just for extra space for moments like this.
"How have you been? How's school been recently?"
"Well mom, ya know it's school. There's absolutely nothing cool about it." he laughed and she frowned.
"I know that's right, try doing four undergrad years then another six." I pointed out and he rolled his eyes at me.
I walked back over to my kettle that was now completely hot and Dean walked back in.
"Does anyone want tea?"
"I'd love some after all the driving." Have said and Dean grabbed some cups.
"Two hours is nothing kid." Dean told him.
"Id love a cup as well." my mom chimed in.
"I figured mother." I said pouring water into the cups and Dean put the teabags in them.
Have grabbed his cup, Dean grabbed his and I grabbed mine and my mother's walking over to the table to give it to her.
"Thank you dear."
"Of course." I said finally taking a seat at the table next to my brother.
"So are you ready for tomorrow?" Gabe asked and all eyes were on him.
"As ready as we'll ever be." I replied and messed with my teabag.
Tomorrow was gonna be a long day.

i know this is pretty short, but i'm gearing up for the next chapter because it's gonna be interesting. y'all ready to see luce?? bc i know i am!!!!
anyways, my state was declared to be "in a state of emergency" bc we're having a pretty intense snow storm right now end it's not letting up. it's day two now of supposedly four. i'm just hoping this snow doesn't knock out power out like our ice storm last year did. it's been crazy for my state since october and i'm not a fan. like two weeks ago it was cold, but like put on a jacket cold, then we had another mini ice storm that within two days turned into a snow storm. so that's ugly. anyways friends, stay safe out there!!