1-Vacation

In the days of S.H.I.E.L.D. 's more desperate gasps for air, former acting director Nick Fury and Natasha Romanoff released all information pertaining to the intelligence organization. Every shred of information was leaked, including Hydra's insidious perversion of the institution. The fact that S.H.I.E.L.D. had been secretly corroded with the presence of the anti-freedom organization since World War II was now public knowledge and S.H.I.E.L.D., for all of the good it had done, had to die so that it might be reborn one day.

Dean Allen, former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent turned Avenger, had been off-world with Thor during these events and had to be caught up by Natasha, Steve, and Sam Wilson- a new ally of the Avengers.

"I still can't believe we were working with Hydra all along," Dean said as he sat back and took it all in.

"It explains a lot though," Steve said. "All of those assignments that made your question your morals."

Natasha smiled at him. "Aren't you kind of glad you absorbed a cosmic force and had to go to Asgard and miss out on that development?"

Dean shook his head, then leaned forward to explain the events that had taken place after the Aether had entered his body. Due to the terrible power of the Aether, Thor had taken Dean to Asgard in order to get help for his condition. The Aether was gradually draining him of his life force and would have eventually killed him. Its active status was more than just a threat to Dean though; it had awakened one of its original wielders- a Dark Elf by the name of Malekith who resided on a desolate world of wastelands called Svartalfheim. Hellbent on using the Aether to manipulate reality and plunge all of the realms in darkness, Malekith schemed to obtain it during a celestial phenomenon called The Convergence. During the Convergence, each of the nine realms would align and the fabric of reality would open so that the worlds were connected by various portals. Malekith's goal to use this as an opportunity to spread dark matter across all worlds at once was thwarted, though not without great cost. Thor's mother, Frigga, had died to keep Dean and the Aether inside of him safe from Malekith. Asgard's armies had sustained heavy losses and the palace had been damaged badly in many areas. Loki had been killed.

"How is Thor handling it?" Steve asked as he looked over at the balcony and watched Thor as he stood and stared at the skyline.

"He 's holding up for the most part," Dean said. "You know Thor- always under the pressure of being the mighty god of thunder and protector of the realms."

"So he really is the god of thunder? From Asgard?" Sam asked, a skeptical smile on his face.

Dean nodded. "If you don't believe him just ask if you can try to lift the hammer."

Sam shook his head and laughed. "No, man, I'll leave the hammer lifting to you."

"So," Steve said in a hesitant voice. "Loki was...?"

"Good on some level," Dean answered. "Just like Thor always thought he was."

"And Thor really declined the throne?" Natasha asked. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what he wanted all along?"

"I think he genuinely wanted it for a long time. But I also think coming to earth and gaining a new perspective made him start to question it. After that, I think he wanted it more out of an obligation to Odin. He told me he talked to Odin about it. Told him he wanted a life of his own. To make his own choices."

Sam whistled. "How did dad take that?"

Steve raised his eyebrows. "I don't understand Asgardian customs, but I'm sure that didn't go over well."

"He was disappointed. But he's proud of him. Hates me, I'm sure."

Steve shook his head. "I don't think he does. I mean, I don't know him personally or anything. But I know you make Thor happy. Any father would want that for his kid. But I also don't understand Asgardian customs, like I said."