2-An Old Enemy

After a quick flight in the quinjet, Dean and Thor arrived at the Allen house just before dinner time. They stepped off of the jet and walked across the large span of grass to the big yellow house. They entered and the aroma of Rosie's roasted chicken washed over them. Dean grinned as the two of them walked down the hall and into the large kitchen. Since dating Thor, Dean had gradually abandoned his vegetarian diet and gotten back to eating meat again. It was, after all, a staple of Asgardian cuisine.

"I didn't even hear you come in," Rosie said as she spun around and took Dean in her arms for a tight hug. "It's so good to see you, Skippy," she murmured as she held onto him a little longer than she normally did.

"I wasn't gone that long, mom," Dean laughed as she let go of him and gave Thor a hug.

"You both look so tanned. How was the beach vacation?" Rosie asked as she resumed preparing dinner. Dean noticed that her voice seemed subdued; not her usual chipper tone. Thor attempted to help her and she swatted his hand playfully and gestured for him and Dean to sit down at the island bar.

"It was good," Dean said. "I think we both needed it."

"Especially after that situation in London," Rosie said as she looked over her shoulder and raised an eyebrow.

"I was going to tell you," Dean quickly said.

"Oh, I'm not upset. I'm jealous! You have no idea how frustrating it is to be a young woman trapped in an old body," she said with a light chuckle.

Dean looked down at the granite surface of the island. Thor laid a gentle hand on his lap.

"So what was happening? We're limited on information ever since that Hydra business."

Dean nodded. "Yeah, I missed that ordeal. We were on Asgard for a while. Natasha and Steve told me Hydra has apparently been part of S.H.I.E.L.D. since World War II."

Rosie clicked her tongue and turned around to check the oven. "I can't believe it. Your father and I have been talking about everyone we worked with through the years. Which ones could have been Hydra sleepers? It's frightening because...well, I don't have to explain it to you. You know what it's like working in S.H.I.E.L.D.. Everyone takes care of each other. At any moment someone we trusted could have been ordered to turn on us."

"I try not to think about it," Dean said as he watched Thor covertly move to the stove and give the mashed potatoes a stir.

"Well. I've cried about it enough. I just can't believe Nick Fury is dead. Your father has been beside himself about it."

Dean felt guilt pooling within him for not being able to tell his mother the truth- that Fury faked his death. And for not being there for her when it all happened. "I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner, mom."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. You boys had your hands full saving the world." She stopped and smiled at Thor. "Sorry. I guess it's a little silly for me to refer to you as a boy."

Thor simply smiled and shook his head. "Nonsense. It's a term of endearment."

"Anyway," Rosie went on. "The whole thing is just so sad. As things weren't already..." she shook her head and busied herself with grabbing plates from the cabinet. Thor swooped in and took them from her. He gave her a boyish wink before walking off to set the dinner table.

"You've got a good one," Rosie said as she walked up and put a hand on Dean's.

"Mom, what's wrong?" Dean asked when he looked up and saw that her eyes were watering.

Rosie blinked the tears away and chuckled as she turned around and began putting the food in serving dishes. "I'm just feeling emotional about what happened with Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.."