Tournament Part 1

Honestly, I feel bad that I couldn’t make it to most of Kageyama’s volleyball games during the tournament. I heard from him that they weren’t doing so well at first especially against Date Tech who was well known for their blocking skills. I would really love to see that game, but my mom wouldn’t let me since we had to clean the house and help my dad fix the car. It was terrible, but today, I’m surely going to watch as they’re going against Aoba Jousai once more.

 On the bus, I sit next to Kageyama by the window. I stare outside as I hear constant chatter from the other team members. I can hear Nishinoya-sempai making fun of Kageyama and how he’s sitting next to me. I kind of tune them out, but I can hear small bits of their conversation.

 “Hey Kageyama, you better not feel nervous because your girlfriend is here!” Nishinoya exclaims from the other side of the bus.

 Kageyama burns red and yells back, “I’m not going to be nervous!”

 They say more, but it wasn’t until Nishinoya says these few words that I started to listen.

 “Before we get on the court will Megumi give you a good luck kiss?”

 Once more Kageyama burns red and throws a fist at him. “Sh-shut up!”

 “Haha! Look who’s getting flustered!”

 Even I can feel my cheeks burn red, but I didn’t dare to look for the fear of Nishinoya also making fun of me. In the end, I glance at Hinata who was sitting in front of me, turned towards us to listen to our conversation. Our relationship did get better. I no longer felt bad for him and he seems to be getting over me.

 Our eyes meet and he smiles.

 I return the smile and continue looking out the window, watching the scene flash before my eyes.

 Once we reached the tournament place, I was hit by the smell of sweat and dried rubber. I follow the rest to our court just as Aoba Jousai enters. They were staring at us, but there was one guy in particular who was staring at me. I recognize him to be Oikawa Tooru. He was also known as a playboy, but when he starts playing, he’s like a completely different character.

 I stand where Shimizu and the rest were as I stare at all the teams that were around. I look up at the stands to see a ton of girls making googly eyes at Oikawa. If it weren’t for his fan base, there may not be as many people watching at this moment.

 I also notice the girl’s volleyball team was around, ready to cheer for us.

 The guys warm-up before the game. They pepper amongst each other. I watch Kageyama as he’s paired with Hinata and like always, yell at him when he makes a mistake. For sure, he’s nervous.

 As I’m watching, in the corner of my eye, I see a volleyball coming straight at me somehow and I catch it. I have no idea how it got there, but I find myself being towered over by Oikawa with his cheeky smile.

 “Sorry. I was passing with my friend back there, but I seemed to have shanked the ball.”

 I blink at him a couple of times before handing it to him. As we pass the ball to each other, I feel his hands on top of mine. I quickly pull away, embarrassed of that fact.

 Quietly, I hear him say, “You’re quite pretty. I believe I’ve seen you before.” He pauses and gives another cheeky smile. He snaps his fingers. “Ah! Now I remember! You came to our scrimmage one time against Karasuno! And so you’re here again! Are you here for me?”

 I make a face. “Of course not! I’m here for my school team!”

 He winks. “It doesn’t hurt to cheer for the other side sometimes.” At those words, he hears his coach yelling at him to start warming up properly. “Okay! Okay!” He yells out and turns to me. “Well, I’ll see you later, Beautiful.” Before he could leave, he takes a glance at Kageyama and strides back to his side of the court.