Prologue

Prologue

  I've been playing volleyball since I was little, but I never thought I would be interested in volleyball boys until I saw  Karasuno High School playing at the National meet on TV. They had a player nicknamed the Little Giant and it was almost love at first sight. Maybe it wasn't love but admiration. It was amazing how he could hit any ball despite the fact he as one of the shortest on the team. He was beautiful running and jumping around the court and spiking the ball. I thought to myself, someday I will be playing on the girls’ volleyball team and earning a nickname like the Little Giant or something of that sort. After all, I'm not a spiker but a setter. I'm the Queen of the court.

  I enjoy being the setter because they are like the control center. They are the quarterbacks of the team. They determine where the ball goes using their two hands with a soft touch. Sometimes it seems impossible to set a ball from the other side of the court, but bam! They suddenly do it. Of course they can't do it alone. Without the passers, the setters wouldn't be able to set, and without the hitters, scoring would nearly be impossible.

  That is why I love being the setter.

  However, before high school came, I had a back problem and after that I was afraid to play. I was afraid of injuring my back further and I would never be able to play volleyball ever again, so instead, I took a break and joined the art club. I didn't enjoy it as much, but I already signed up. They told me if I could find another club, they would let me join that one since they had enough members that were a lot better than me. I didn't mind because it was true. I only joined because it didn't require me straining my back.

  You would think I would watch the girls play volleyball, but instead I watched the boys. Just like when I watched Karasuno played at Nationals, I was intrigued by the new team this year. There were four first years just like me, but they were all different. There was one short middle blocker that has an amazing jump just like the Little Giant. There was a freakishly tall, blond middle blocker that didn't seem to have the drive to be in the team, but still played anyways. Then there was another player that was always around the tall blond guy in glasses. But my favorite first year was none other than their setter, Kageyama. He doesn't know I exist even though I sit right behind him. He's usually quiet during class, but when he plays, he's like a whole new person.

  I thought he was scary at first but the more I watched him, the more I realized he has total commitment to the game. He was striving to become the top. I understood him since I used to be a setter. It was amazing how he would perfectly set the ball for a quick to the Shorty and they would occasionally score since no one would expect it. I would always cheer them on even if they don't notice me. It doesn't matter because I'm the Queen on the sidelines, cheering on the King of the court and everyone in his team.

  During the Aoba Jousai game, I really thought he would lose his cool after the Shorty served the ball right at his head, but surprisingly, all he did was scare the little guy and yell at him for a bit. This caused the Shorty to play better which amazed me. He truly could become a leader.

   After a few days, their team was now complete with an actual coach. Two former players, the libero and their ace, returned to the team, adding on to their strength. I'm excited to see more of this team and how they evolve. They seem nothing like what I have expected.