Does He Hate Me?

Chapter 2

  Stare. That's all I do during the whole day in school. I stare. I either stare at the board, at the classwork, or at the back of Kageyama's head. But then there's Hinata. For some reason, after meeting him once, I keep seeing him everywhere I go! I know it's not intentional because he's simply walking around, but now I just notice him. He sticks out way too much especially in the court.

  Once the bell rings to end the day, I stand up immediately Kageyama does and exclaimed, "K-Kageyama-san!"

  He turns his head with eyes never leaving mine.

  I get nervous as my hands are sweating and I'm lost for words. It must be the intensity emitting off his eyes. "Uhm. I was wondering if... Maybe I can... Er..." How should I put this? Why do I feel so scared asking a simple question to the person I admire the most? "Can I-"

  I don't know why I stop. When I look at Kageyama, I can see he's waiting patiently for me to finish, but I can feel he's getting annoyed.

  I close my mouth and shake my head, "Never mind. I'll see you tomorrow."

  He nods and says simply, "See you." At those words, he strides out the classroom.

  Ugh. I'm such an idiot! Why am I so scared of him? I bet he thinks I'm annoying or something! I need to be more confident but when he looks at me like that, I choke up! Maybe I can try to go some other time. I sling my bag over my shoulder which isn't very lady-like and smack someone right on the top of their head.

  I hear an, "Oof," and react. "I'm sorry!" Oh, what's he doing here? "H-Hinata?"

  He's rubbing his forehead with a frown. "Ah... I came here to ask for some advice on passing." There's a huge red spot on his forehead which he ignores, but it's quite distracting.

  "Oh?" I didn't expect him to ask me. I thought he would ask one of his teammates since they're part of the same team. "Well, basically what I do is," I get in to position, bending my knees and have my hands out, "I use my whole body, but with a fast ball, I absorb it..." I pause. Will he understand that? "I-I kind of give it some leeway." I put my hands together and motion myself how I pass a ball. "I use my legs more than my arms and I bring my hips towards my target so that way my upper body is facing where I want to pass. Uhm... Do you understand?"

  His eyes sparkle like a little kid receiving candy. "Yes! Thank you Megumi!"

  "It's nothing." I'm kind of embarrassed actually.

  He bows a couple of times before glancing at the clock. "Oh! I have to go! Practice is about to start soon and I would hate to see Kageyama angry. I'll see you tomorrow! Bye!"

  "Bye." I watch him go as he heads out the classroom. When he's nowhere in sight, I heave a deep sigh. I have nothing to do after school except homework and I don't want to get started on that yet. What should I do? There's no meeting anywhere and I'm too scared to head to the gym... No, I shouldn't be scared! I should take chances.

  "Alright, Megumi. You can do this. You've always wanted to get close to a guy that plays volleyball and this is your chance! You can do this!" I give myself a pep talk to calm myself down. "Alright! I can do this!" I walk confidently towards the back gym.

  As I near, I can hear the squeaking of shoes and the loud smack when someone hits the ball. I can't tell what's going on but I can infer based on the voices.

  "Hinata you're next!" Coach Ukai's voice boom.

  "H-Hai!" Hinata's nervous answer travels outside. I can hear the smack of the ball hitting a hand and thud as the ball hits the ground.