Lingering Scent

So, today is Friday and this is the day where we will do the 3 vs. 3 match between us setters. This whole week, I visit Kageyama to tutor him even after he remade the test he failed because he still needed help on some areas. I didn't really get to practice setting in the gym since they would have to clean up, but Daichi allowed me to grab a ball and take it home. Since the team didn't have a match and since it was a Friday, today is basically a free day, so that is why our mini game is at this moment.

  I change into my gym clothes and step on the court to see everyone stretching. I stand near everyone and copy them. When they were done, Kageyama points at me and exclaims, "Are you ready?"

  I nod my head once and yell, "Heck yeah!"

  He simply smiles and heads to the other side of the court where Hinata and Tanaka are.

  I step on the court and find Tsukishima and Daiichi on my side. Daiichi gives me a pat on my shoulder and says, "Remember, this is just for fun, so don't stress yourself."

  Of course it's for fun, but I still want to beat Kageyama anyways. I turn to Tsukisima and he just heaves a sigh while heading to the court.

  So the set up for this mini game was Tsukishima and Daiichi on the back receiving the ball while it's a serve, but when we play defense, I would be at the back to split the court in half while Tsukishima was in the front to block.

  “We’ll flip a coin to see who serves first,” Kageyama says as he steps up to the net on his side of the court.

  I follow suit and look around, expecting someone to bring out a coin, but no one moves.

  Sugawara rubs the back of his head with a playful grin. “I don’t have any change on me.”

  Nishinoya just blinks.

  Tanaka yells, “I have nothing in my pocket! I’m broke!”

  Asahi looks away without meeting my gaze.

  Tsukishima rolls his eyes. “Do you have a coin, Yamaguchi?”

  He shakes his head in reply.

  “Just do rock-paper-scissors! I’m ready for this game!” Hinata exclaims and practically jumps on Kageyama’s back.

  “Get off of me!” He shoves him away and holds out a fist.

  I do the same and we do rock-paper-scissors to decide our fate.

  “Rock-paper-scissors,” we say at the same time, “Shoot!”

  I throw a rock and as I stare at Kageyama’s hands, I frown. He throws paper.

  I sneer. “I don’t understand how paper can beat a rock! All it does it cover it!”

  Kageyama simply takes a ball. “It’s not my rules and I’m glad they made it that way or else I would’ve lost!” He heads to the back of the line and gets ready to serve. Since this is like a match, I would rarely get the first ball, so I head close to the net while the two other boys are at the back to pass.

  I glance at them, but Daiichi reassures me, “Don’t worry about passing. We can handle it.”

  Tsukishima grumbles something that no one could hear, but it was obvious he’s annoyed. “Whatever,” he says out loud and gets ready to pass.

  Sugawara is our referee today and for some reason I feel strange with him around for the first time. Maybe it’s because of the conversation I had with Kageyama the other day, but other than that, I can’t think of any other excuse.