07 | Enso

I walked towards the field. For once, I wasn't kicking rocks on my way here since I plan to intentionally 'greet' someone.

With perfect timing, a football flew towards me which I managed to catch this time instead of letting it roll over to meet me.

"What are you doing here?" the blonde jock scowled.

I exhaled as I approached him, "Came here to tell you something."

"Well whatever it is, make it quick!" Rick snapped impatiently.

"Stay away from Whitney." I started, narrowing my eyes at him as he clenched his jaw. "Else you'll deal with me." I threw the football back which he managed to catch as it landed on his chest hard.

He opened his mouth to say something but was soon cut off when his father beat him to it. "Rick! What's taking so long?" the coach complained, as impatient as his own son.

With a final glare towards me, Rick jogged back to the field.

Whitney's POV
"No fair! I was left to take another partner last time." Carrie complained, slinging an arm on Mia's. "I was partnered with Lou-Anne for dissecting frogs!" she whispered not so quietly that the ginger head turned her head towards us.

"No offense." Carrie apologized lamely.

I scoffed, "But... You got an A." I reasoned out.

"Exactly!" she sobbed. "I won't get asked to prom if this keeps up."

"She's right Whit, it's your turn to find a partner this time." Mia pointed out.

I groaned to myself, this has always been a common spat when it comes to an odd number of friends. It looks good on a pyramid but not when finding a lab partner.

"Then who am I suppose to partner with?"

Carrie beamed, "Jacey-Pie looks available."

I pursed my glossed lips, glancing towards the open door where Jace Parker just entered without a care in the world as usual. He wore a white tee, flaunting his well-sculpted chest down to the tattoos on his arms.

I then glanced back towards my besties in which Mia shrugged, "I'm sure he won't mind, you guys have been hanging around lately anyways."

"But--"

"Yoohoo! Jacey-Pie!" Carrie called out to him which earned her numerous head-turns and one distinctively scowling expression.

Mia groaned, "Seriously, Jacey-Pie? Not happening Carrie."

"Better than Ricky-cakes." she whispered, flipping her rich blonde hair off her shoulders.

Nonetheless, Jace surprisingly approached us, giving me a grin that sent butterflies on my stomach before his expression faltered when he noticed my besties looking back and forth between us.

"So what's up?" he asked, scratching the nape of his neck.

"We noticed you don't have a partner." Mia informed directly, glancing at my direction and hoping he'll see sense.

Jace shrugged, "I don't need one, I'm used to flying solo."

"Well today's your lucky day! I'll be your partner!" Carrie squealed.

"Carrie!" Mia scolded.

"If he doesn't want Whitty to be his partner then I'll be... Come Jacey-Pie!"

"Miss Fallon, are you still having trouble with finding a partner?" The lab professor called out to me.

I was about to answer when a tattooed arm snaked around my waist, pulling me closer towards a hard chest. "Actually, she's taken," Jace answered, pausing for a moment. "Ma'am."