Chapter 19: Promise-Do's Promise-Don'ts

A/N:

SURPRISE UPDATE <3 LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

Any bold lines will represent Jay writing in his journal and any italicized line will represent a flashback of past events.

............ December 6th, 2014.

I took a deep breath, the icy December air filling my lungs and clearing my head. Everything was spinning towards the end of my last tennis match inside the bubble that was currently over the tennis courts. I had driven about half an hour here to a club tournament and had gotten my ass whipped. It was alright, though, club players were way more intense than high schoolers.

My mother waved as she ducked into her own car and sped out of the parking lot. She had plans with a friend tonight, leaving me to fend for myself. I walked to my car, scrolling through my phone to see if anyone wanted to go out to eat or anything. Most of my friends were already broken into their own individual groups, so all I would have to do was pick one and check to see if I was welcome.

I had spent the past month rebuilding my relationships with my high school friends. It was stupid of me to put every spare second I had into my relationship. Seriously, what had I been thinking? I pushed away a lot of people and missed a lot of opportunities to make good memories for a relationship that didn't even last. Ryan was just something of the past now. He was just a section of journal entries, a red hand print, and a lesson learned. Moving on was what I needed to do, what I had done. I was even talking to a new guy. It wasn't anything serious, but it was progress, right?

While driving back home, I decided that tonight would be perfect for me to pop some popcorn and watch some movies while wrapped in blankets, just some good ole me time. My brother was with some of our friends watching movies and my mom wasn't going to be home til late, so it sounded absolutely wonderful to me. The world, however, had other plans for me.

I have to admit, when my phone started ringing I was surprised to say the least. It was...I stared at the screen, completely ignoring the green light in front of me. A car slammed on its horn behind me, forcing me to focus on driving for a moment before pulling onto the highway and answering the call. Why did I answer? Why did he call me? Why does the world have to torment me so?

"Hello?"

"Hey, Jay, it's Ryan." The sound of his voice had my heart racing, my head pounding in confusion. "What are you doing?"

"I-I'm driving." How stupid could I possibly sound? Seriously? I dumped him and here I was, completely at a loss for words just by his voice. What the hell is wrong with me?

"Did you play in a tournament today?"

"Yeah." Now, before you think he was stalking me or something, back when we were together I had mentioned wanting to sign up for this particular tournament and he probably still had it on his calendar...probably.

"Why don't you go home and shower and put on something nice because I'm taking you out tonight." His voice was so sure, so confident...I was silent for a minute at least. Part of me was throwing a party and trying to scream yes as loudly as possible; however, I knew better than to listen to the part of me that still loved him. He cheated. It was that simple.

"Ryan, no." I couldn't put myself through this again...no matter how badly I wanted to. "We aren't good for each other, remember?"

"It doesn't have to be a date. I just want to hang out with you, like we used to." This was a lie. Why? We were practically dating the second time we saw each other. "I won't do anything across the line, I promise." I dropped the phone, swerved into the other lane, which was empty thank God; and pulled off on the side of the rode. I rest my head on the steering wheel, taking a few deep breaths before grabbing the phone from the floorboard.

"You-you can't say that. You can't." A tear made its way down my cheek. I know, I'm such a btich about sentimental little things, but the last time he promised me something... "You just can't." His following apology lasted a good five minutes while I gathered my barings and started driving once more. "Fine."

"Fine what?"

"Pick me up in an hour." I hung up the phone before he could add any bull shit about how I wasn't going to regret giving him another chance. I knew I would regret it, no matter what happened. I had been separated from him for a month and a half and just got to where I could sit in my corner in my room without tearing up at the sight of his red hand prints...maybe we can be friends, though...

What I didn't know was that the world had other plans for me as a pair of headlights came out of nowhere.

.............

A/N:

It's short, but I wanted to give you guys another update because unfortunately this story is getting closer to its ending and we all know its best to just rip the bandage off! Lol. I love you guys, be on the look out for more random upates throughout the week, I'll try to post as often as possible.

If you enjoyed this part of the story please feel free to leave a vote or a comment or both! Also, if you could check out my story Whispers of the Woods that would be awesome. xx

-Tay