Twelve

Henry and Abe looked up from what they were doing when they heard the bell on the door ring. Kathryn walked in through the door, a glazed look in her eyes.

"Hello again." Abe greeted cautiously.

No response.

Her slumped figure retreated into the dark basement once again.

Henry felt sympathy for the girl. Even if she was trapped in the body of an angsty teenage girl, he knew what she was going through; what had happened.

Abe looked to Henry, obviously confused. "She's been thinking. Lost in her past." Henry said softly.

Abe nodded and Henry went to follow Kathryn.

When he reached the basement, Henry could just barely make out the figure of the girl in a corner of the room.

Reaching over, he turned on a lamp; half worried about what he would see.

Kathryn rested her head in the corner, and had the rest of her body slouched towards the wall.

"Kathryn...?" Henry called softly, knowing the agony she was feeling.

As he drew nearer, he could hear her softly moaning the word "why" over and over again.

"Kathryn, I'd like to tell you that it's all going to be okay, but, I'm afraid that for us, things will never be quite right. I know how you feel, but Kathryn, please-" "No, Doctor Morgan, I don't think you do know how I feel." She snapped.

"Unless you know the torture of being eternally adolescent. Tell me, do you know what it's like knowing that you'll never grow up? Do you know what it's like knowing that you'll never be able to pursue a career? Knowing that you'll never get married? Never have children? Never be able to even pretend, for one second, that you belong somewhere?" She asked venomously. By this point, tears were pouring out of her eyes and cascading down her face.

Henry was lost for words. He had no reply. When Kathryn picked up on this, her eyes narrowed as she said, "That's what I thought." and marched back up the stairs.

When she was out of the dark basement, she couldn't hold it back any longer; she broke down.

Kathryn collapsed to the floor with a thud. Silent sobs racked through her body.

Abe, having heard the noise that Kathryn's small body had made upon hitting the ground, walked into the room.

Seeing the girl on the floor, Abe rushed to her side. He knelt down beside her, awkwardly trying to comfort her.

When Henry appeared at the top of the stairs, he too joined the effort. Neither man had ever attempted comforting an immortal 14-year-old, so it was quite the awkward experience.

Kathryn was appreciative their effort, but nothing was going to make her feel better about this anytime soon.

She had to get through this on her own, just like she did everything else.