CHAPTER 11

FAINA SIGHED AS THEY WALKED WITHIN THE FOREST, SEARCHING FOR THE BEAST

Rumour is that it has been seen by a witch's house in the woods.

"I didn't realise this job would be so complicated." Faina told the Witcher,

He let out a grunt in response, "As long as we get the money in the end." He glanced down at her bound wound, "Does it hurt?"

She shook her head, "I'll be fine."

He continued to stare at her, "I'm impressed, a human girl taking on those hounds by yourself. And lived."

She smirked at him, "Told you I'm stronger than I look."

Dark clouds rumbled above them, dropping rain onto them. They pulled their hoods over their heads, shielding them from the rain.

On the path in front of them, there was a young boy. Faina hopped off her horse and approached him, "Are you alright? Where are your parents?"

"Why'd they skin the puppy? Why'd they hurt him?" The boy asked and Faina furrowed her brows in confusion, "He was gentle, he hurt no one. And the girl, from outside the village, grieved, horribly. Unlike any human."

The boy's eyes began to glow green, the same shade as the hounds.

"Faina..." Geralt got down from Roach and grabbed her arm, prepared to pull her back,

"They tortured the witch's puppy." His voice turned demonic, as he let out a growl, "Use your blood, show her you're a man. The Beast is warned. Death, the final judgement. The Beast has met its end once. It doesn't fear death, it is death! How will you defeat human villainy? With your sword? You will die and still walk amongst the living."

Geralt pulled Faina back behind him, "You cannot escape the fire. You will burn, Witcher."

He lifted his fist and knocked the child out. Faina stared at him, "Did you really just punch a child?"

"A possessed child." He corrected,

"Yeah, like that makes it any better."

He turned to look at her, "I know why the Beast is here. We need to find the witch." He lifted the boy onto Roach and climbed on behind him. Faina jumped onto Nix and they quickly went through the woods, searching for the witch.

Soon, they came upon a lonely hut in the middle of a clearing. The two slipped from their saddles and Geralt carried the boy in his arms as they approached,

"Hello?" Faina knocked on the door, "Please, the boy needs help."

The door opened to reveal a red haired woman, "Alvin." She gasped, "Please, come inside."

She let them in and took the boy from Geralt's arms. They looked around, taking note of all the herbs and ingredients that laid on a table.

Geralt nodded at her, this woman was a witch.

"Thank you, for bringing him back." The red haired woman walked in, "I'm Abigail."

"I'm Faina. And this is Geralt." The white haired woman greeted,

Abigail observed Geralt, "A Witcher."

He stared back, "A witch."

She paused, "So the villagers have told you about me."

"They say you summoned this Beast that attacks them." Geralt stated,

Abigail shook her head, "I've done no such thing."

"I know. I believe you." Geralt sighed, "It's a Hellhound, summoned by the wickedness of their deeds."

Faina's eyes widened, "Hellhounds? I wasn't aware they actually existed."

"They're rare." Geralt stated, "A village would have to be very corrupt for them to be summoned."

"So how do we defeat it?" Abigail questioned,

"I can kill it, but more will come if the villagers don't change their ways." Geralt answered,

Shouts began to come from outside the hut and Faina glanced outside. A mob had formed outside, carrying torches and yelling obscenities,

"Looks like they're off to a great start."

"Stay here." Geralt ordered the witch before walking outside and Faina followed,

"She summoned the Beast by using the Devil's magic." A villager yelled,

Faina rolled her eyes, "Shut up." They all stared at her, "You are the ones who summoned the Beast. You killed and kidnapped and pillaged. The witch had nothing to do with it."

"Stupid whore." The villagers yelled, "Women have been the nest of all evil from the beginning of time."

Geralt stepped up, "You all have two options. Kill the witch after we leave, but when we come back, we'll see her body and slay you all, or you can try to lead honourable lives, clear your conscious, and start again. The choice is yours."

He turned to look down at Faina, "Let's go, we need to deal with the Beast."