CHAPTER 22

FAINA TRAVELLED FOR MANY WEEKS

She crossed over Lyria and mountain ranges before reaching her desired territory of Zerrikania, a place where the snow does not touch.

Zerrikania is a place she has come every winter for hundreds of years. It's a place full of strong woman and dragon cults. It's a safe place for her.

She came across a ranch upon the edge of a village and two figures ran out of their home and towards her, "Faina!"

"Adelina." Faina slipped from her saddle and hugged her friend.

Her family has been her guard for generations. Every year, it was their family she would stay with before heading into the mountains, leaving her stuff in their home for them to watch.

"We hope you had a pleasant journey." Adelina grinned,

"Yes, not much detour needed, which is very rare." Faina looked down at the small child who hid behind her mother's leg, "She's a lot bigger than when I last saw her,"

"Yes, nearly five suns now." Adelina smiled,

Faina kneeled down to look at the girl, "Katoka, where's my hug?"

The little girl with the wild brown hair smiled and launched herself into Faina's arms. The woman laughed before standing, still holding the girl, "Come. Tell us of your adventures while we feast."

Faina told them about her run-ins with wargs and bandits. She asked them if anything happened in the village while she was gone, and Adelina recalled of a strange man showing up anyhow woman began flocking towards him, probably for his wealth.

After dinner, they sat by the fireplace. Faina braided Katoka's hair while Adelina repaired clothes,

"I've met a Witcher." Faina whispered, staring into the flames

"And lived?" Adelina gasped, pausing with her work,

"He didn't know I wasn't human." Faina sighed, "I travelled with him for many months, we fought monsters together."

"What was his name?" Katoka asked,

"Geralt of Rivia." Faina answered,

Adelina stared at her with wide eyes, "You're the guardian angel that travels with the White Wolf?"

"Jaskier." Faina growled, why did he give her the title of guardian angel? It makes her sound good, innocent.

But she's a monster. She has burned down many villages, killed many creatures innocent and evil.

"Do you think it wise to travel with him, Faina? If he knew what you were, he'd slay you without a second thought." Adelina advised,

Faina shook her head, "No, I don't think so. What I've seen from him... the stories are wrong. He isn't devoid of all emotion. He cares... a lot." A small smile graced her lips, "He knows when to have mercy."

"Sounds like you care much for him."

She nodded, "I do." She moved her fingers to rub against the medallion that laid on her skin under her tunic.

That night, Faina slept with Adelina in her room. Screams filled her nightmares, and when her eyes opened, she expected to see the white hair of the Witcher on the bed next to her.

But he wasn't there.

He was probably in Kaer Morhen by now. Training with the other Witchers.

Had he forgotten about her? Or does he lay awake thinking of her like she does of him?

It felt like an eternity until the sun rose over the mountains. Once it had reached the house, Faina was up and preparing for her leave.

"Thank you for watching Nix while I go into the mountains." Faina told her friend, stroking her horse's nose,

"Please tell me you're attending the festival this year." Adelina begged,

Faina smirked, "I wouldn't miss it." She gave the young Katoka a kiss on the forehead before hugging Adelina.

The followed her towards the mountains, not wanting to miss a chance to watch a dragon. Faina took off the nightgown the Adelina had given her and went down on all fours.

With a large cry that formed into a powerful roar, her skin began to shed. Her bones reformed and pure white scales grew. The figure continued the grow, until a dragon was left in its place.

The two women on the ground grinned as the pearl white dragon let out a roar before taking off, flying into the Fiery Mountains.