CHAPTER 44

MANY MONTHS HAD GONE BY SINCE THE DRAGON LEFT GERALT ON THE MOUNTAIN,

She had learned so much about her people, but her heart was somewhere else. It had distracted her. She would go to villages, hoping to hear his name.

The only thing she heard was of war brewing. Nilfgaardians moving north, overtaking any kingdom they came across.

They were heading towards Cintra next.

Cintra. A kingdom that held bad memories for Faina.

But she knew it was important for Geralt. His Child Surprise, they were the child of the princess of Cintra.

So she left Borch and his family, heading south towards the kingdom. If she couldn't be with Geralt, than she could protect his Child Surprise.

And perhaps it would bring them together once more.

Faina snuck through the castle gates, and despite the war looming above them, the streets were full of glee. No one was hiding away, preparing for what was to come.

Either they were cocky, or oblivious. Or just completely idiotic.

After meeting the Queen twelve years ago, Faina believed it was all three.

The dragon was able to enter the castle swiftly, leaving Nix outside, and she cursed them out even more. Their security was just downright dreadful. 

Inside the castle, the Queen was holding a banquet. A dozen men and women were dancing, while others were sitting at tables feasting on fruit and meat. Not to mention wine.

There was a sense of deja vu. It took her back almost thirteen years ago, when Jaskier dragged her and Geralt to this very castle.

The night where everything changed for them all.

She spotted the princess in the front row of the dancers. The young woman looked just like her mother.

The dragon spotted the Queen and her husband sitting at the royal table in the front of the room. A man stood behind her royal highness, whispering something in her ear which caused a scowl to appear on her un-aging face.

Nilfgaard was coming... fast.

Faina kept her hood over her head, walking around the room slowly. She grabbed some grapes, and an apple from the table, snacking on it slowly as she observed the Queen and her granddaughter.

Then she felt the eyes of the Queen on her. Faina knew she was caught, but she wasn't afraid.

How could she refuse the help of a dragon?