Fifteen- So Long and Goodnight

Gerard pressed closer to Frank, trying to stay under his umbrella. It was raining, but it was warm, too.

Even though they hadn't known her that well, the people there that night had felt obligated to go to Lauren's funeral. Frank paid for the whole thing. She'd died protecting Gerard, after all.

Three weeks ago

"Gerard, no, he's dangerous!" Lauren grabbed his other arm.

Gerard ignored her and walked out into the hallway. Lauren pushed his brother off and ran after him, pushing him to the side just fast enough to feel the bullet pierce her chest. She gasped and looked down at the scarlet bloodstain before back up at her brother. He looked surprised.

But there wasn't a hint of regret on his face.

Three weeks after that night, everyone had recovered physically enough. Gerard had suffered hearing loss and was partially deaf, but it didn't seem to bother him too much. People just had to speak up around him.

Everyone threw handfuls of dirt into the grave, then dispersed quietly.

"Hey, um, this might be the wrong time to ask you," Gerard said quietly. "Who are Cherry and Lilly?"

Frank sighed quietly. "You went in my office, huh?"

Gerard nodded. "I was lonely. Sorry."

"Alright, well, I guess you should meet them. They were my daughters."

"Were? And you had kids?"

"Were. And I did. After they were born, I swore never to fall in love again. Their mother was killed, and they happened to get caught up in it. Remember that man you found in the room down the stairs?"

Gerard pressed a hand to his mouth. "He didn't..."

"She was pregnant, too, at the time." Frank blinked quickly. "My wife. We were gonna name him Miles. The girls, they...they just wanted to protect their baby brother."

Gerard hugged Frank tightly. "I'm so sorry. Are they here?"

"Mhm." Frank guided him down a different path. Three small graves were all lined up neatly next to each other. There was one each for Cherry and Lilly, and one labeled Marina and Miles.

"They were buried together," Frank said. "I knew she wouldn't have wanted to let him go."

Gerard squeezed his hands. "Nice to meet you, Marina. And Miles, and Cherry and Lilly. Your dad is amazing. I love him so much."

"Marina would have loved you." Frank kissed Gerard's temple. "She would've thought you were adorable."

Gerard smiled.

The sun shined down around them, parting the clouds of rain.

Everything was all right.