9.

"How are you doing now?"

Kara asks after Mike told her about what happened when he visited their house in Daxam City.

"I don't know," he sighed. "The fact that my father is gone now and that I know my mother is the reason–I don't know what to think, Kara. She... when I asked her about it, she didn't seem to care."

Kara nodded, shifting her sitting position on her chair inside their trailer. They have started their filming for the next season of the show. "You know, sometimes people don't want to show their emotions and just... hide it all using the other emotions that humans have. I'm gonna be honest, I do that, and being an actress is... that's one of its perks. Sometimes I seem happy but deep inside, I'm breaking," she said, making Mike look a bit confused. "What I'm saying is... don't think that your mother doesn't feel anything about the loss of your dad. She might... feel sad and guilty about it. I know I'm not in the right place to comment about anything but... he's her husband, they were together even before you existed. Pretty sure there's something she's feeling. Or felt, either way, it's a feeling."

"No, it's okay. I appreciate you commenting and I am here for your words but," he shook his head. "Kara, my mother... she's not her. It's like she's different. Like something broke inside her that's making her like... that."

"Talk to her," Kara replied. "Make her feel that you're there and that she's loved. Maybe she's just longing for you, for her son."

"Yes, okay," he sighed. "How 'bout you? How was your weekend in Midvale?"

"Eliza's great, Midvale was great. I had peace for a short period of that and I appreciate it."

"Kinda like... Krypton?"

Kara nodded and chuckled sadly. "Yeah, when you think of it, City of Krypton... it's a city but it's so quiet and peaceful. I wish I could go back there."

"Why not go back?" Mike suddenly asks. "I mean, when we have time, I'll go with you."

"It still hurts, Mike," Kara quietly replied. "Seeing that huge 'WELCOME TO THE CITY OF KRYPTON' sign," she sighed. "Reminds me of everything. The home, my family, my parents. I tried going before. But before I even enter the city, I broke. They had to bring me to the hospital because I didn't wanna breathe; I wanted to... go with them."

Mike looked at her sympathetically. "I'm sorry. But if you're ready, I am here to help you, okay? I promise you, I will never leave your side."

---

After his talk with Kara, Mike decided to follow her suggestion; talk to his mother. He knows that his mother is not the same anymore–that she's at her worst but he also knows that talking to her would be great for closure about his father's death.

"You're back again," his mother said bitterly; however, she seems sad today than the last time he visited.

"I am here to talk," Mike replied, taking one of the seats on the dining table. "I want to know everything that happened while I'm gone. But before that, I promise not to yell at you and just listen."

Rhea chuckled, "you want to know what happened while you're gone? You were gone for what? Years?"

"Mother, I am your son and I still have the right to know what happened to my father."

"Right, of course," she chuckled bitterly. "You left and we were both miserable. He threatened me that if I can't find you or make you go home, he will find you himself and I wouldn't be able to see you my whole life again," she sighed, "then I did what I was supposed to do. When the FBI investigated, they said it was an accident–well, they thought."