Chapter Five - Daniel

Daniel readjusted the collar of his uniform, trying to stop it from cutting into his neck but no amount of adjusting could ever make the uniform feel comfortable. He stared at himself in the mirror, the cap pulled low on his forehead and he made sure all the buttons were all done up properly. After two days, Daniel still couldn't believe he left the house that day and signed up for something he didn't believe in all to prove a point to his father.

He brushed his uniform off one more time, readjusted his cap and sighed loudly. After grabbing his pack, which consisted of nothing more than a rolled-up blanket, a bible and some photographs from home, he left his room and jogged down the stairs to the family room. Mrs Morris stood in the kitchen, her focus on the stove and the toast that had already reached the charcoal stage. She didn't look up when Daniel entered the room, but he hadn't expected her too.

When he returned from signing up, having gone through the necessary paperwork and physical examination, the only person who appeared mildly thrilled by the idea was his father. Ruth had refused to speak to him and his mother couldn't bear to look at him without crying, not that Daniel could blame them. He had signed up to prove a point to his father but ended up breaking his mother and his sister's hearts at the same time. He had also broken his promise to Ruth and he hated to break his promises.

"Do you have everything you need?" Mr Morris asked.

"I don't need much."

"We'll come with you to the village, see you off."

"I don't want to go!" Ruth cried, she threw herself down on the worn-out chair, her face pressing into the fabric.

"Come on, Ruth! Don't you want to see your big brother off?"

"You promised you weren't going anywhere." The chair had slightly muffled Ruth's voice, but Daniel knew exactly what she had said.

Daniel sighed and placed his rolled-up blanket onto the floor at the bottom of the stairs. He looked at his father who didn't say anything and his mother was still staring at the toast despite the smell starting to fill the entire downstairs. The last thing he wanted to do was upset his sister and he had done just that, it would be up to him to put it right. Even if he didn't want to go to war, he certainly didn't want to go to war with Ruth mad at him, especially if there would be no guarantee he'd make it back alive.

Ruth continued to press her face into the chair with her legs sliding back on the hardwood flooring and it looked like she might hit the floor face first. The floorboards under his feet squeaked and the only other noise in the room was the frying pan sizzling in the kitchen. Daniel reached Ruth and knelt beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder but she shrugged him off and buried herself into the corner of the chair.

Out of all the things he had ever done wrong, hurting his sister would always be the worst. From the first day he laid eyes on her, Daniel had sworn to protect Ruth and yet by signing that piece of paper, by signing away his freedom. He had wanted to make his father proud, to make him happy, but he ended up hurting the person who he cared the most about.

"Listen, Ruthie, I know you don't want me to go, and I know I promised you I wasn't going anywhere, but I have to."

"Why? Why do you have to leave?"

"It's my duty," Daniel lied, "to protect my country, to protect you. This is important."

"And I'm not?"

"Of course you are! You're the most important person in my life, but I'm doing this for you. To make sure you can grow up and be happy, and safe, and protected."

"When will you come home?"

Daniel sighed. "I don't know. Some say the war will be over by Christmas, but no one really knows. How about this; I'll write to you every week and tell you everything, as long as you write me back."

"I don't want you to promise, just in case."

"This is a promise I'll keep."

"I'll miss you."

Ruth dragged herself off the chair and flung her arms around her brother, almost knocking him to the ground. Daniel steadied himself and hugged her back, pulling Ruth tightly into her chest and squeezing him as hard as he dared. Although he knew saying goodbye would be hard, saying goodbye to his sister felt someone had impaled him through the chest with a pitchfork. His chest squeezed and he never wanted to let her go, but he didn't have a choice.

After a little while, he detangled himself from his sister and returned to the bottom of the stairs to grab his pack. Daniel looked around the room. The clock on the mantle ticked, the photographs on the walls stared back at him and he listened to the sound of the birds just outside the farmhouse. He tried to commit the rooms to memory; the painted brick, the smell of sausages and burnt toast, the wooden chairs that were really uncomfortable to sit on. No one knew when he would next see his family home.

"Come on, you'll be late," Mr Morris said, a gleam of pride in his eye at the sight of his son all dressed up in the army uniform.

"I'd like to go on my own, it'll be easier," Daniel said.

"You sure?"

Daniel nodded. "Yes. I can't look like a real soldier if I need my father to hold my hand."

"Alright." Mr Morris took a step forward and placed his hands onto Daniel's upper arms. "I'm proud of you son."

"I know you are." Daniel twisted himself out of his father's grip and walked towards the kitchen towards Mrs Morris. "I'll write, Mother, I promise."

"Why did you have to listen to your father?" She sniffed. "My boy, off fighting men.

"I'll be fine."

Mrs Morris didn't say anything and, not wanting to make his mother cry, neither did Daniel. He just stood beside her for a few seconds before turning and walking towards the door. Ruth ran over to him and gave him one last hug, but Daniel couldn't bring himself to say goodbye, it felt too formal, too final. All he could say was three simple words.

"See you soon."

~~~

First Published - February 13th, 2021