23 | Worse Than Aware | 23

Hello!
For those who didn't see the announcement on my board, Deception is now updating every 3 days instead of 4, hence why the update was today and not tomorrow.
Enjoy. Love ya <3   ~ Owl

~~~

-George's POV-

"So, now that that's over..."

We all turn in Sapnap's direction, shooting him an unimpressed glare. He laughs awkwardly, accepting his attempt at dry humour has failed miserably.

"Sorry about that," he quickly adds, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. The spark in his seemingly cheerful tone dies out, replaced with guilt and shame. "I know it's my fault we were attacked, I should've payed more attention-"

"Don't blame this on yourself," Clay interjects. "There's five of us here, not just you. We all should've been more careful." I take a moment to run the trip here back through my head, trying to think of any possible time we could've been overheard.

Central City is a maze to navigate unless you know the safer routes, full of alleyways that are safely blanketed in shadows even during the day. Perfect places for those who don't fear being attacked to hide, easily enabling them to overhear their victims without being spotted.

"Am I the only one bothered by what Illumina said?" Fundy asks suddenly. "He said he got what he wanted out of this, but didn't kill Sapnap. He didn't even try to kill him!"

Clay nods his head, eyes narrowing to slits as he thinks through Fundy's words. I've always found it cute, the way his freckles seem to merge into one as his face screws up in thought.

"What if his aim wasn't to kill me?" Sapnap asks to the silent room. "What if he pretended it was, so that we'd put up a stronger fight against him? He brought two people with him, there's no way this was a planned attack. It's more like he overheard us by coincidence, and decided to take advantage of the situation."

"I think he came here to learn something. Maybe about our plans, maybe about us. Could be to analyse our combat styles, or somehow get some information out of us."

Tubbo's eyes nervously dart between the assassin's, still filled to the brim with fear. I manage to catch his eye, offering him a hopefully reassuring smile and a thumbs up. He returns the gesture, to my relief, and hopeful light starts to seep through the cracks again.

"I was going to ask you about that actually, Fundy," Clay adds, narrowing his eyes as the ex-assassin in question. "Why did you agree to meet us here in the first place? Sapnap said you weren't even willing to consider the idea when he approached you with it, so what changed your mind?"

When Fundy shows no sign of talking, Clay continues. "Do you have the same reasoning as Illumina? Agreed to come here after realising you could get some information out of it?"

"We aren't stupid, Fundy. I know that Techno wouldn't just let George go when his target was changed, he's got a reputation to uphold, and too much pride to lose it. He failed to kill his target, who wasn't an assassin, and still can't even fight properly."

It stings that people keep bringing me up in that way, like it's a miracle I'm still alive. Which it probably is, but I have killed two people, and saved Sapnap's life. Combat skills aren't everything when learning how to survive.