21 - eral

a/n - if u want,, listen to fallen down by toby fox (from undertale) for the vibes [slowed + reverb ?]

(y/n)'s pov

the day after the big fight. the first real day where there were no more demons to fight.

the day where we were all finally free for once.

sadly, we still had to deal with the damage that the fights had delivered. when i got back to the butterfly estate, mainly everyone had woken up and started to deal with the aftermath of the damage.

those who could traveled to the remains of the headquarters, slowly gathering the rubble so that it could be disposed of later on.

once night fell, the work ended and we all decided to start the burials for everyone who had sacrificed their lives.

an area of land was cleared out from the rubble, and we began to carefully bury their bodies. it was... painful to say the least, seeing how many lives had come to an end, and knowing that some of the bodies couldn't even be recovered.

it took most of the night, by then i was using my right arm to carry lighter things and help set up the graves.

finally finished, the sun started to peek over the horizon and light up the graves.

everyone who had survived came out to pay our respects, including everyone who was injured as long as they were conscious.

we held hands as we kneeled in front of the graves, praying for their safe journey on and thanking them for their brave sacrifices.

... the hardest part for most of us were shinobu and the oyakata family's graves.

those who lived at the butterfly estate surrounded the grave, aoi trying to comfort the three young girls. she repeated what i had told her the day before, reminding them that shinobu wouldn't want them to cry and that she had made the decision on her own.

the rest of the hashiras who were there mainly stayed by oyakata sama and his family, paying our respects to our courageous leader.

i walked toward the gravesite, kneeling and carefully placing down something i had managed to recover from the rubble.

the beaded bracelet with a shield sat on top.

bowing my head, i prayed for their safe journey and thanked them for all they had done for the demon slayers.

once i finished, i got up and looked for the survivors of his family. kiriya and the others stood by the graves and looked down at them sadly. i couldn't help but go over to them and try to comfort them, silently showing that i was there for them as they mourned.

i knew exactly how hard it was to lose your family.

especially at such a young age.

the funeral we held eventually came to an end as the injured were taken back to the butterfly estate and the others helped them out.

some took the time to fall asleep to rest their wounds or replenish their energy, but i had plans.

or, rather, school.

time skip brought to you by ranboo my beloved 💘

school was a bit weirder than usual, caused by my blatant injuries that anyone could see. it was a bit awkward explaining that i had a really bad fall while holding a glass, which happened to take out my right eye.

(a/n - this is an actual thing and falling is the most common cause for eye injuries in the US lol)

they didn't ask too many questions, most going along with it and giving their wishes for me to get better.