16. I'll Wait For You

Camila is blow drying her hair after taking a shower when she thinks she heard the doorbell, so she turns it off and litens for a moment until it rings again.

 “ Sofia, get the door!” She yells, putting her sweatpants on. Her hair is still wet, so she pulls it up in a messy bun while reaching for a tank top. “ Sofia!” She yells her sister’s name again when the doorbell rings one more time.

 Making her way to the front door, Camila checks the peep hole and finds Shawn standing outside with his arms crossed over his chest. Her heart skips a beat when she sees him there and she ivoluntarely checks herself in the mirror before opening the door. She looks like she just got out of the shower, which is good, but she doesn’t even know why she cares so much.

 “ I just need Aaliyah.” Shawn says when she motions for him to come inside. “ Bath time.”

 He doesn’t look like he’s going to say anything else, so Camila goes looking for the girls in Sofia’s room. They’re not in there, so she checks her mother’s room and even her own before coming to the realization that they’re not in the house.

 “ They’re not here, Shawn.” Camila says, walking back into the living room.

 “ Well, they have to be. They’re not at my house.” He makes his way down the hallway and checks the rooms while calling the girls names. Camila searches for them in the small backyard, but she has no luck either.

 “ They’re not out back.” Camila says when she meets him again in the living room.

 “ I’ll check my house again.” Shawn says.

 He makes his way across the street and Camila follows him, noticing how it’s already dark outside. She starts getting really concerned as she makes her way to Shawn’s house because she knows Sofia wouldn’t be outside this time at night. She stands in the doorway as Shawn checks his house again, not feeling comfortable going in.

 “ They’re not here.” He says, sounding worried. 

 Camila’s hand goes to her mouth as she gasps, realizing how serious the situation is, and Shawn wraps his arms around her when he sees the fear in her eyes, trying to comfort her.

 “ We’ll find them. They’re just playing off somewhere.” He says before letting her go. “ Check the backyard. I’ll meet you out front.”

 The two of them are calling the girls names when Camila starts panicking. She remembers when Sofia was four and she thought she had lost her sister, but after calling the police they found the little girl sleeping in the bathroom cabinet, probably hiding from her.

 Camila wants the same outcome this time around, but when she looks at Shawn’s backyard, they’re not there. When she makes her way to the front of the house, she finds Shawn standing in the driveway, staring at his car. He sees Camila and his finger goes up to his mouth, telling her to be quiet. She looks at the backseat and finds both Sofia and Aaliyah crouched on the floorboard passed out.

 “ They would make horrible guards.” Shawn whispers.

 “ Yeah, they sure would.” Camila whispers back as they stare at their little sisters.

 Shawn’s arm goes around her and he gives her a squeeze, but it’s nothing more than a gesture of relief because their sisters are safe.

 “ Hey, before we wake them up, I have something of yours inside.” He walks to his house and she follows him into the kitchen. “ Your keys.”

 “ Oh, thanks.” She says when he drops her keys into her hand.

 “ It’s running fine now.” He says, making his way to the couch and sitting down. “ You should be able to drive it home tomorrow.”