To going full kook (3)

(Song:bon iver/Roslyn slowed)

I hand John b the package through the hole and he takes it. "That's not gold" pope says in a sad tone. "Holy shit" he says. "JJ,help" he reaches in and grabs my waist helping me out. "Thanks stealth" I say the nickname slipping out,but not looking at JJ knowing he has a stupid grin on.once I'm out he keeps his hands on my waist without him realizing but I didn't mind.in fact I kinda liked it. "This is from my dad" john b says looking at us I smile at him when we hear a vehicle approaching.

"Code red.code red.square groupers!square groupers!" JJ says causing me to turn around and see that he was right. "Go,go" I say and we run around the grave and hide.JJ keeps his arms around me holding me close. "Lights,guys!" I whisper shout and turn jjs off for him since he was burning out his blunt on the side of the grave.

"Do you think it's them?" Kie says and I shrug. "Homies got a gun" JJ says and my eyes go wide "fuck this,I'm not getting shot again" I say getting up and running followed behind the rest.JJ gets in front and jumps over the fence.John b gives me a boost over since I'm shorter than them and I can't get over it "come on tiger" JJ says and I jump and he catches me.

Everyone gets over besides pope. "Guys I'm stuck" he says "shit" kie runs over there "no your gonna rip me" JJ pulls his gun out and I take it from him "put the gun down" I whisper shout putting the gun in my waist band of my shorts.

Kie grabs him and pulls him down and rips his pants and I laugh. We run to the van "get in" "stupid" "come on" We drive off fast.

***

"That bread had mold on it three days ago" pope says to JJ who is making a sandwich "I'll just pull off the bad parts plus mold is good for you it's a natural organism" I make a nasty face and we all walk over to John b holding the mail.JJ takes a bite out of the bread and gags and I laugh he throws that piece away and goes for another bite but I take it away and throw it all away. "Hey" he says "you will thank me later" I say and he rolls his eyes.

He rolls out the map "x marks the spot" pope says pointing to an x on the map.he then pulls out something. "What's that" I say "it's a tape recorder dumb ass" kie says "you know what kie" I say walking up to her but JJ grabs me pulling me to him. "Easy tiger" he says making me roll my eyes.

He presses a button on it and it starts to play.

Dear bird

"Who's bird?" JJ asks "that's what his dad used to call him" I say and jb smile at me cause I remembered.

I hate to say I told you so,but,I told you so.and you doubted your old man.I suspect at this moment,you're building with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight,but don't kill yourself just yet,kid,I didn't expect to find the royal merchant.you were probably right to call me out.

Wasn't exactly father of the decade,what can I say kid I could smell the burn.and hopefully we are listening to this in our brand new suger-shack down in Costa Rica,livin off passive investments and pulling on permits with Dava,she's always been a daughter to me.

I gasp as I didn't expect my name to be brought up,I turn to John b and he wraps an arm around me and I could tell his eyes where tearing up.

If not and you find this for less than optimal reasons,well,that's what the map is for.there she is the wreck of the merchant.if something happens to me finish what I started.go for the gold,kid,you and Dava.

Oh,and dava,don't give up,I know that once you put your mind to something,your all for it,just don't let that be the death of you.

I love you bird,even if I didn't always act like it....I'll see you on the other side.

With a click it's over and the voice stops I stay frozen confused on big johns words about me,what did he mean?John b stands up and walks to the other side of the house sobbing. "Holy shit he did it,big John found the merchant!" JJ says

"Can you...can you please" kie says waving her hands in jjs face making him shut up "sorry" he mumbles she walks over and gives jb a hug to comfort him.And I smile at her.I turn to JJ and he looks at me with a sad expression.

I then walk out of the room so no one can see me incase tears fall,but they didn't,they couldn't.I quickly go to the kitchen and grab a beer out of the cabinet and drink it fast feeling a light buzz making me feel slightly better.

***

"Hey dava play for us" JJ says handing me a ukulele "oh I don't know-" "please" they say and I nod taking it.I play a small slow tune since I've sobered up and they smile turning back to there things. "How much was it again?" "400 mil"

"All right let's talk the split.now,before we say 'evenly' May I remind you that I'm the only one that can properly defend us from those square groupers who were after us,protection?not cheap,okay" he says walking over to me and taking the gun out of my waistband,I had forgotten it was even there,and I roll my eyes as JJ holds up a gun waving it around. "you haven't trained you've done zero training"pope says

"YouTube! Bro,That's at least a 5% bump right there any objection I didn't think so." He says and me and kie raise our hands objecting.

"What are you gonna to with the 80 mil pope?" kie says "pay for College in advance and also textbooks those are expensive" kie makes a face and I smile "why is it that I'm the only one that cares for his education" I say "thank you!" Pope says and I smile.

"What about you kie?"

"Just wanna make a double album.about OBX,the pogues,you know the catch of fire is about Kingston.record it at a Marley studio,Peter Tosh producing."

"Peter Tosh is dead"

"Peter Tosh is dead I know,but the spirit of him will never die" she says holding up a sprite and I chuckle "I know what I'll do I'm gonna get a big ass house on figure 8 and go full kook,I'm gonna get a marble statue of myself and then im gonna get a koi pond" JJ says and I laugh.

"You think it's funny?well then,What are you gonna do Dava?" He says and I think for a second.I guess I never really had time to think about it.ummm. "I'll go down the road and buy a new surfboard and new wax,but strawberry scented,environmental safe." I say with a smile and there smiles drop.

"You can buy that now if you wanted to" pope says and I chuckle "yeah I know I actually really need to get to that" I say and they roll there eyes "so you don't know what you want?" Kie says "no.I do know what I want,and I just told you".

"She would probably want boxing gloves" JJ whispers to pope thinking I couldn't hear. "Excuse me" I say walking to him.he puts his hands up in surrender and I turn to John b "hey johnny what do you want" I say

"To going full kook" he says and we all smile.