23

We drove to a takeout place and ate, sitting on a picnic table on the beach beside us. Ocean waves tumbled along the soft, warm sand with a soft hiss, leaving a foamy trail. I finished eating, my stomach about to explode, and gazed at the night sky.

"It's calming, don't ya think?" Noel asked, and I glanced over.

"Yeah, it's... comforting." His eyes glimmered with knowing, an understanding. I rested my head on my hand, smiling.

Noel flexed his fingers, shrugging. "How is your hand?" I took in a deep breath as he reached for my hand. "Can I see?"

I held out my hand, glancing down with shame. He rubbed his thumb against my knuckles, whistling low. "Damn girl," he said, shaking his head. "I never want to get on your bad side."

He pulled his hand back, and I chuckled. "I hope not, though I'm sure my fist is the least of your worries." He breathed hard out his nose in agreement. "How's Ronnie?"

Noel's lips twitched in a smirk. "Why? Do you miss him?"

I laughed. "Not one bit."

"We're on the outs," he muttered, rolling his eyes. "I refused to give him any more treats, and that bastard bit my hand when I tried to scratch his belly."

"How rude," I said.

"I know, right?"

"All he wanted was more treats. I can't blame him if he was upset." I grinned, and he leaned back, dropping his jaw.

"Hold on, you're siding with Ronnie?"

"Yeah, the poor, chubby thing," I teased. "Where did you get him?"

"I was twelve when I found him on the streets," he said, frowning at the memory. "He must have been seven at the time, starving and hissing. I offered him a piece of my burger and ..."

"You both fell head over heels in love? Happily ever after?" I smirked, leaning away with a laugh as he swatted at my hand. "So you took him off the streets? Your mom must be real chill if she lets you do that."

"More like stoned out of her mind, but yeah, she let me keep him," he said, giving a half-shrug. "He's cranky and an asshole, but I, you know ..."

I smiled. "You love him," I finished, and he glanced toward the ocean. I thought of Hazel. "Isn't it crazy how we make so many mistakes, but at the end of the day, they're always there, waiting for us, no matter what."

Noel smiles. "That's what family is about, right? Loyal to a fault," he said, shaking his head. "Ronnie, though, the second he hears that damn bag of treats, he'll betray you. Dickhead."

"Maybe Hazel and Ronnie are more alike than I thought," I muttered, sighing. Noel continued to gaze out at the water, a sort of longing flickering in his eyes. From what I knew so far, Noel didn't have an easy childhood. At the least, he had secrets buried deep that weren't easy to uncover. His dark eyes were hard, almost black, even in the most blinding light, but I noticed the kindness and gentle mannerisms that hid behind the darkness. I adored how he loved that obese asshole cat.

I wondered how loyal he was to my brothers and the family. Jaime's words replayed in my head, "just because your Denver's nephew doesn't mean shit ... I love you like a brother, but I'll send you back as fast as you came if you hurt her in any way." Who was Denver? How did my brothers know him, and how did Noel tie into everything?

"I'm stuffed," I groaned, pushing the takeout dish away. "If I eat anymore, I'll explode."

Noel chuckled, closing his dish and throwing them both in the trash. We stood, and I stretched, yawning. walked along the beach heading nowhere in particular, but that was enough for me.