55

"You're a wet sock."

"Yeah, well, you're a squeaky shopping cart."

I scoffed. "Unnecessary movie sequel."

"Inconvenient fire drill."

"Cold bowl of soup."

"Expired milk."

"I'm confused. Are they insulting each other or playing a game?" Harley muttered across from me, raising an eyebrow.

Chance shrugged, digging into his tossed salad. "I don't know anymore, man. I just go with it."

Ashton and I chuckled.

"Good morning, children." Denver entered the kitchen, greeting the older boys. He turned to me and my twin, smiling. "Ashton, Maisie."

"Good morning," I said while Harley and Chance glared at him. I chuckled and they turned their glares to me.

Cameron came inside the back screen door, smelling of cigarette smoke. "I need to talk to you both," he said.

"Are we in trouble?" Ashton asked.

Cameron grimaced. "No. C'mon, let's talk in the other room." I shared a look with my twin, wondering what could be wrong. Cameron whispered something to Denver before moving to the living room. Ashton and I stood up and followed him.

I strolled over to the couch, sitting down. Cameron sat on the coffee table, shifting to let Ashton sit beside me. 

"Mom isn't doing good," Cameron murmured, clasping his hands together, his gaze shifting back and forth between Ashton and I. "Her doctor says that it'll be days now."

"What?" Ashton whispered, sadness wrapped around his words. I didn't say anything, I don't know what to say, I don't know what to do. "A week ago, it was a month!"

Cameron let out a low breath, a pained look crossing his expression. Ashton began to tug on his messy hair. It was the first time I noticed it getting long and forever bedhead vibes. "I know, but the cancer is spreading, fast. She's been getting worse, even over the last few days. I'm sorry, but she won't tell you and I need you both to be prepared for the worst."

"You mean prepare for her to die," Ashton whispered, rubbing the back of his neck, constantly fidgeting. "God, I can't ... I can't do this."

Cameron reached out and squeezed my twins shoulder. "There's nothing we can do, Ash. All we can do is be with each other, be there for each other. I'm really sorry this is happening."

Ashton began ranting, worrying, his anxiety spiking. Cameron tried to reassure him, calm him down. I couldn't look at them, my eyes becoming heavy, my throat closing up. Each breath I took seemed harder and I couldn't handle seeing my twin break down.

"Maisie? Did you hear me?" My older brother asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I shook my head, staring at the floor, noticing Harry had appeared, sitting on my feet. "I said, mom is laying down, she hasn't woken up yet."

"Okay and ..."

He gave me a pointed glare, now sitting beside Ashton, who rested his elbows on his knees, head in his hands. I shrugged, unsure of what he wanted.

"Are you okay?" Cameron asked, before closing his eyes for a second and shook his head. "I'm sorry - nothing about this is okay."

"I'm fine," I denied and my brother didn't miss the obvious lie. I stood, rubbing Harry's head. "I'm gonna step outside for a minute. I need some fresh air."