34

"Woah, Maisie - are you okay?"

Colin stood over me, reaching out his hand out to steady me. He had on a black hoodie and dark jeans, his curly chocolate locks sticking up in every direction.

I nodded, wrapping my arm around my waist. I hit my back hard on the wall and I knew it was gonna bruise. "Uh, yeah. Thanks. What are you doing here?"

"I had to grab something in my locker," he said, hoisting his backpack up.

"Oh. Evie said you were going to Arizona," I said, studying him, wondering what was so important he didn't want to leave behind. "To see your mom?"

"I'm heading to the airport now, my flight is in an hour," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "How are you? Like it must be overwhelming."

His interest in my well-being caught me off guard. "I'm dealing with it. Have a good trip." I turned to leave.

"Are you scared?" His words made me freeze.

"Excuse me?" I asked, whipping around to face him. Colin stepped forward, his eyes void of emotion. Something must have clicked, his hazel eyes flashed with guilt.

"Sorry, I - I didn't mean to say it like that," he mumbled, dragging a hand down his face. "It ... I'm just saying, everything must be overwhelming. With your psycho father on the loose and a drug lord that - damn, I don't know how you haven't lost your shit."

I grounded my teeth, glaring. "I'm not afraid of them," I said, heart pounding.

He smiled. "Good. Evie says you're one of the strongest people she knows," he murmured, and I couldn't help but disagree. "It was brave - what you did for those girls."

"I did what I had to," I said, "nobody else was going to do anything."

He nodded. "Where are they now?"

"Somewhere safe," I said, noticing Ashton enter from the stairwell behind Colin. He leaned on the wall, watching and listening. "What's with all the questions?"

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked," he said and cleared his throat. "I'll see you around, Maisie."

I stepped to the side and watched him walk past. When he disappeared around the corner, Ashton walked to my side. "Did he say something to you?"

"He asked if I was scared," I whispered, shooting my twin a look. "Who asks something like that?"

Ashton's ocean blue eyes flickered with anger. "Shit. I don't know," he said, his jaw twitching.

"Evie ... she told me. She told me he's Chase and Randall's cousin. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't want you involved."

I gritted my teeth. "This is different."

"No, it's not."

"Does Colin know about mom?" I asked, my heart tightening. "Ash. What does he know?"

"He doesn't know about mom, okay?" He hissed, striding forward. "Don't worry about it."