I Remember When... I Said Goodbye ⚡️😭

A burst of green.

Nya.

Nadakhan.

Falling...

Falling...

Those unforgettable eyes, maybe closing for good...

I lurched forward, arms outstretched. Cole yelled in my ear, "No Jay! Stay here!" He grabbed my arms and wrenched them behind my back, causing me to stop in my tracks and my head whipped around to try and meet his eyes. My nunchucks clattered to the ground, useless and broken. I heard Kai make a guttural sound of pure agony and anger, and Lloyd just gasped loudly.

"NYA!!" My voice ripped from my throat as I jerked my elbow into Cole's stomach to break away from his super strength and rushed forward. I ignored the voices yelling at me to turn back, that it was too late.

Can't stop now! I have to get there!

I feared the worst as I skidded to a stop and knelt beside my soulmate, cradling her head in my lap. Her copper skin was quickly paling, lips losing their cherry tint. I watched her breaths become shallower and quicker, fists clenched and eyes closed. The green goo on her seemed to spread over a larger amount of dress the longer I stayed.

Much as I tried to deny it, when I held her there, I knew deep in my soul that I had to say goodbye. "Jay," she breathed, reaching up with a weak hand to caress my cheek, "please look at me." I looked into her dimming cinnamon eyes and leaned forward, whimpering, "Nya, please..." my own tears streaming down my face. She brought my face to hers and brushed my lips, whispering, "Keep fighting... for me... please..." and finally closed her perfect eyes. And then she was gone.

My eyes closed along with hers, and I felt another tear trickle down my cheek. The world stopped and I stopped with it. My thoughts carried me away to a better world-- her world...

~~~~~~

I remember when I had to say goodbye to my best friend. I remember when we would laugh together, or tickle each other until we were breathless. When you would listen to my horrible puns and pretend they were actually funny. I remember your bright laugh, like the tinkling of golden bells on Christmas Eve.

I remember the day I said goodbye to the "good ol' days". The days you would tease me for being so short, and pouting when I finally got taller than you. When you would wake me up with a kiss on the nose and fresh blueberry pancakes after I had fallen asleep in my lab trying to impress you with my tinkering knowledge.

I remember when I had to say goodbye to my true, undeniable love. When I had to let go of my forever devotion to you. When you would look into my eyes and smother me with your amazing ruby lips, even around Kai. I'll never forget that. I just wish I'd worked up the courage to tell you enough times how much I adored you.

I'll never forget the day you looked at me for the last time while I watched the life drain from your eyes right before me, and how I was so helpless to stop it... how wished I could go with you... after all, a life without you isn't really a life anymore...

I cracked my eyes open again, and she was still there. Nothing physical had changed much. Her cheeks were still almost as rosy as they had been this morning, looking like she was just asleep and she would wake up any minute and tell me to get my butt back to my chores. Oh, how much I wished that she would wake up and start talking about anything and everything... but I knew it wasn't to be. I gently scooped her up into my arms, not ready to get up and let go yet. Nya's head came to rest softly against my blue-clothed chest, still warm, still here. But she wasn't really here... and wouldn't ever be again...

That was the hardest goodbye I've ever had to say... because I know you'll never say "hello" again.